Friday, October 30, 2015

Giving

Giving                                                       10-30-15

Before I begin ,a side note. Second Kings 17, especially from vs.24 on has some compelling reading about what is more likely than not happening in our world today; especially  as pertains to Europe and the good ol' U.S.of A. Give it a read why don't you. O.K. Move on Ronnie.

 Matthew 6:21 (ESV) 21  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


The preamble to my message today is longer than the message itself so please, bear with me.Earlier this week on a website that I regularly read, an article on the "calm before the storm" struck me. After reading the article I felt a leading to write on giving this week. I thought about it and had a confirmation when my good buddy posted the same article on Facebook later that day. I let it stir in my spirit for a couple of days and today felt that indeed "Giving" would be the subject this week.

But, today I had a strange feeling. I don't believe that I have ever written this in this blog. However, I have a feeling that God is wanting to speak to someone or someones(is that a word?) through this message. No, He did not put your name or face in my mind's eye. I can't ever remember having this feeling about my messages, but someone or someones need to hear this. It could be me PTL!

Going further, the leading in my heart was specific. It was to be a word about giving money. Yes, the Bible speaks to our giving our time, talents, and whatnot to the furtherance of God's Kingdom. But, that is not what was put on my heart. It was about giving money. Going to the back pocket or the purse as the case may be.

Now to be sure, this is not an appeal from me. NO,NO! As they say these days, I do not have a dog in this fight, nor do I have any skin in this game. I am not a pastor, am not in full time ministry, and do not ask for or receive any donations. Rest assured this is not a "word" to personally enrich me.This is coming from an unbiased, objective and materially disinterested source.Amen?  

No, I cannot tell you to whom or how much to give. But, I will interject this.

In this discussion about money and the giving of it, this is something to consider. We hear much about the tithe as opposed to grace giving and on that I will mention this. The Old Testament talks about giving in terms of percentages. The children of Israel were under the Mosaic Law and tithing was to be a percentage of their income. It was denominated in agricultural terms as Israel was a farming community. The New Testament uses different terms in talking about giving. Words such as "generous, bountiful, cheerful." It moves it out of the realm of the accountant or the bean counter and into the realm of the heart. That is all I can say on that. Your giving is and MUST REMAIN a matter between you and God. Amen?

The point of this message is not to whom and how much, the point is that we are instructed to GIVE! GOD is more than able to guide you in the specifics if you will allow Him.

That being said take another look at the scriptural reference today.

Matthew 6:21 (ESV) 21  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Those are strong words. The Lord Jesus did not mince them. That passage in context is speaking to material belongings or material wealth.

Here is the heart of the matter. That article I referenced above is speaking to a calm before the storm that many believe is on it's way. It is talking about (screaming is the word used in the article) a global financial meltdown that is already under way. All sorts of financial terms, debt, currency, commodities collapse, etc., etc., It mentioned in the most general of terms about how we might want to prepare for what's coming. It was at this precise point that the Holy Spirit spoke to me about what to do in making preparations for the soon coming financial winter. This is what was laid upon my heart. "GIVE"

"What's that you say Ronnie?" I repeat "GIVE" That, very simply, was the solution that the Spirit of God spoke to this writer. Look at this.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 (ESV) 7  “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
8  He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.”


Pay especial attention to verse 8. ".....does not fear when heat comes"........."is not anxious in the year of the drought"..... "does not cease to bear fruit."

Brothers and sisters, a shaking is on the way. No, I am not trying to foretell what and how. The BIBLE tells us that a shaking is on the way doesn't it?

Hebrews 12:25-26 (ESV) 25  See that you do not refuse him who is speaking. For if they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape if we reject him who warns from heaven.
26  At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.”


A question to me. "Ronnie, do you seriously think that your little bit of money in the bank, your gold, your silver, your IRA , your guns, your dehydrated food is going to see you through the SHAKING that is coming upon this world?" 

Brothers and sisters, listen, there is nothing wrong with saving something for hard times, nothing at all. BUT,.....BUT it cannot, it must not have priority over our giving to the furtherance of God's Kingdom. The deposits that we have made into the heavenly account are the true wealth. It is that gold and silver that will see us through the truly perilous times. You, no WE, must understand that where our treasure is, that is where our heart is. And not only our heart, but our TRUST.

God owns it all anyway folks. I will leave you with some numbers for all of us bean counters out there.

There are over 2000 verses(some say the exact number is 2350, I don't know) that speak to money and giving.

"Give" is mentioned 921 times in Scripture. For a comparison.
"Faith" 270 times.
"Hope" 165 times.
"Love" 541 times.

Giving is mentioned more than ANY other subject.
Twice as much as Heaven or Hell
Thrice as many times as love
Seven times more than prayer
Eight fold more than belief
It(giving) comprises a full 15% of God's Word

Nuff said.

Psalm 96:8 (ESV) 8  Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; bring an offering, and come into his courts!

God Bless






    

No comments:

Post a Comment