Friday, October 9, 2015

Where Were You

Where Were You?                                            10-09-15

Job 38:4 (ESV) 4  “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.

Some thoughts.

Ya know, it occurs to me that over the last couple of years or maybe longer, when God Almighty has chosen to speak to me, He captures me with the same phrase. The same four words, when they enter my heart and mind, cause me to stand up and take notice. Those words being,"I got your back." When I hear that I know "somthin sup." You gettin' my drift?

Let me add this while I am thinking about it. You know...God rarely, if ever, brings a condemning word my way. Now that is not saying He does not bring a CORRECTING word. No,no.In my life those are too numerous to recount in this short space!(smile) But, rather than condemn and judge, He shows me a BETTER way of doing things.If I choose to believe and trust Him, then I am the better off for it. Those were my thoughts as I deliberated this message.

Back to Job.

 Job, in a moment of IMPATIENCE and frustration, questioned God and His wisdom concerning his(Job's) circumstances. After a three or four chapter rebuke of Job through Elihu, God Himself takes center stage and answers Job. Beginning with the 38th chapter God "calls Job out." After He mentions His council being darkened, the Lord asks Job a question,"Where were you...........?" God then proceeds to drive a point home. A point, that we today, both as individuals and a nation, should heed and not shun.A point best described by the priest in the movie "Rudy." Remember? While counseling Rudy he spoke these words, "There is a God, and I ain't Him!"

Do yourself a favor and read that passage of Scripture sometime. If you can't read the whole book of Job, start at Chapter 32. If that seems a bit ambitious, jump to chapter 38 and start. Fascinating,timely truth for us today.

As I thought about this, the Holy Spirit spoke this"You don't question My wisdom so much with your words(although I have in the past) as you do with your actions."

Hmmmmm.....

No, no He was in no way beating me up in my spirit. He was in NO WAY brow beating or intimidating or manipulating...not at all.

On the contrary, He was  pointing out a BETTER WAY. He was, once again, silently SHOUTING at me that indeed HE HAS MY BACK!! 

Let me interject something here. There are people in this world that are suffering on a scale that I can not even imagine. As a matter of point, it is embarrassing to even mention my "hardships" in the same breath. I am humbled,even fearful when I think about the circumstances that some of God's children are enduring. My point is simply this.

Whatever circumstances we find ourselves in, we need to keep this fact ever before our eyes. THERE IS A GOD AND I(WE) AIN'T HIM. And no matter what, His wisdom is above ours. All He wants to do is show us a better way. He wants to assure us that He and He alone has our back.

I will leave you with a comment I read this week about King Hezekiah that I had  never considered. You know the story. Hezekiah fell ill and God told him that he was going to die. Hezekiah prayed and God answered. In His love and mercy for Hezekiah, He stayed his death and added 15 years to Hezekiah's life.

But, as a result of Hezekiah's unwillingness to accept God's sovereignty and ultimate  wisdom for his life, Hezekiah's descendants had to endure unwarranted suffering. During those 15 years, Manasseh was born. He reigned for 55 years and was the most evil king to ever rule Judah. 

2 Kings 21:1 (ESV) 1  Manasseh was twelve years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Hephzibah.
Read the story.

Not only Manasseh, but Hezekiah's extended reign led to Judah's defeat by the Babylonians.

Just sayin'.

Psalm 111:10 (ESV) 10  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!
God Bless




  

No comments:

Post a Comment