Friday, October 23, 2015

Radical

Radical                                                      10-23-15

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root"

When I read  this quote recently on the pages of facebook I was set to thinking. The quote was an intro to an article about what a radical is. Let me see if I can explain.

Radical- of or going to the root or  origin; fundamental. forming a basis or foundation. pertaining to or forming a root.

The word is used in English as a noun or adjective. It has many different applications in the fields of grammar, politics chemistry, botany, mathematics, etc., etc., you get the drift here.

But, with all the grammatical uses, in the many different applications, it conveys one idea. That being of a fundamental nature, a root nature.

As I scrolled on social media today, as I do every day of every week(smile) I thought about the above quote. Why? Let me try and explain. On any given day, one can read on Facebook hundreds, if not thousands(if you are a real junkie lol) of clarion calls for change. Post after infinite post of zippy one liners about the evil in our society. Gun control, government intrusion, debt, middle east, on and on.And depending on which side of the debate you land on, explanations of just who is to blame for the slide into decay and decadence.

In addition to the political and social debate, there are any number of ads, posts that offer stuff to make you more masculine, more feminine; posts that offer encouraging devotionals. I could go on and on, but unless you are on another planet, you know exactly what I am talking about don't you? No need for further explanation. And here begins the talking point.

With all the of the rhetoric aimed at accountability, with the call to rise up and strike at the ROOT of the evil, the clarion calls to affect a transformation, to be a radical,......where is the change?When I look out my front window, it appears to me that the slide into chaos continues unabated. How's the view from where you stand?

Let me insert something here without spending time on it.To affect any kind of meaningful change, whether in our world or more importantly in our personal lives, it will cost us something. To be a radical,.... to have fundamental, root changes take place in our lives involves a personal cost. It isn't easy nor is it free.

That being said, this week in the midst of wondering why no change, God put a verse in front of my eyes. A simple, uncomplicated, enduring truth that affects the change we all seem to be seeking. Nothing heavy revy. No great spiritual revelation. Just a single passage of Scripture that goes to the ROOT of all our angst about today's world and it's influence in our daily lives. Look at  the 2nd Proverb.

  Proverbs 2:3-6 (ESV) 3  yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding,
4  if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures,
5  then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
6  For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding;


You see brothers and sisters, God and His wisdom never changes. His handbook on being a radical is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Now to be sure, we humans will offer our "amendments" to His Word. We will attempt to add our insight to His wisdom. But, somehow it just doesn't cut it does it?
Folks, our screams for change, whether in our society or in our sin ravaged souls, will not be found in a political candidate. Neither will it be found in a protest movement.Our wisdom can't produce it and all the money in our world can't buy it.

Where then do we find it? It is found in our living room. At the dining room table. In our prayer closet. In the pages of His Word, and in His presence one on one. That is truly where the axe is laid to the root.

Psalm 77:1-2 (ESV) 1
 I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, and he will hear me.
2  In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord; in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying; my soul refuses to be comforted.






God Bless

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your sermons, Pastor Ronnie.
    Thank Pastor Doug Drucker for kindly making sure your messages reach my inbox.

    You have some great insights into God's word, and I feel your passion in your messages. I read and follow along. I feel it when you are discouraged, and am joyful when you are encouraged.
    I just wanted to let you know how much your messages mean to me. I take a lot out of what you write. I sometimes think on something you wrote all week, and pray on it.

    I guess the main reason I am posting this is because many of your messages speak directly to me and my life. Even If no one else on the planet saw them except me, God is using you to help direct me! :)
    Forrest Hill Jr.

    ReplyDelete