Friday, October 2, 2015

My Memorial                                                10-02-15


Luke 24:5 (ESV) 5  And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead?

A personal testimony this week.

Today is my mother's(memaw) birthday.This is the first birthday that she has not been around; God choosing to take her home last February. This Wednesday past, while walking the neighborhood thinking about what I would write on this week, I thought of paying my respects to my mom. It was odd however. How so? As I pictured my mother's grave site in my mind, I was not moved. I had no real emotion as I rehearsed in my mind's eye standing at her grave, on her first birthday after going home with the Lord. Although it did not really bother me, I wondered why no flow of emotion.

I even asked the Lord why it was that I was lacking any emotional response. As I walked a little further a verse shot across my mind.

..." Why do you seek the living among the dead?"

The question posed by the angels at Jesus' empty tomb. Well, I pondered on that for a little while longer and all of a sudden I had a "God" moment.

I looked up at the sky and the clouds which had been with us all day were breaking up in the western sky. It was tendering towards sundown, and a big patch of blue sky had opened up. Through the hole in the clouds the sun was setting, turning the clouds that color of reddish, pink, orange. You know what I am talking about don't you? That multi hued sky as the sun sets some time. "Red sky at night, sailors delight,"
that was the canopy I am endeavoring to describe.

Standing there, gazing at the sky,all of a sudden I knew........I KNEW that all was well. It was a rush in my insides telling me everything was O.K. I mean it was a  complete feeling of peace. I felt the Holy Spirit come over me like a wash. I stopped for a few seconds just to offer a moment of grateful praise to God. Yes, Pastor Doug, outside in the land of the living! (big smile and chuckle)Then those words again returned to my head.

"Why do you seek the living among the dead?"

 It was like a flood in my soul.Why was I picturing my mother's grave site? SHE WASN'T AND ISN'T THERE!!

That one thought filled my mind and heart. Memaw isn't there! Listen, I am writing this on Thursday night because I plan to go visit my mother's grave site tomorrow. That's what we do here on earth. But, my mother, Memaw to me, isn't in that cemetery. No, no. She is somewhere in the corridors of eternity, doing whatever it is they do in Heaven. And I will see her soon enough.

1 Corinthians 15:54-55 (ESV) 54  When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
55  “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”





In the midst of this moment, just for the briefest of time, I hastened for the day that the Lord Jesus would return. Either for me personally, or for all His people who are looking and longing for Him.That great homecoming in the sky. Then, as quickly and magically as it had appeared,.. it was over.A moment, a gift from God, for me to relive at some point in the future. It was just one of those times when God visits us.

Brothers and sisters, the Lord Jesus is the real deal. He is the ONE TRUE AND LIVING GOD. And He is coming back for His own,soon and very soon, just as He came for my mother this year past.

If you have lost a loved one recently or not so recently, remember this. Try and not fret or grieve, as impossible as that may sound.And know this for a truth. The next time that you go to the cemetery in memory or to pay respects to the departed, don't be looking for them, because they aren't there. When they named the name of Jesus as their Savior and Lord, they booked a reservation in the halls of glory. They wouldn't come back if they could. Amen.

Why do you seek the living among the dead.

Psalm 116:15 (ESV) 15  Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

God Bless









   

No comments:

Post a Comment