Friday, November 6, 2015

On What I Think

On What I Think                                          11-6-15

Galatians 1:12 (ESV) 12  For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

I read an article this week past questioning the benefit(or lack of it) of asking people what they think about decisions or paths that we have chosen or in the process of choosing. In a nutshell the article said that unless we are willing to open up many doors of opinion and counsel, our question might be better left unasked. It was a good article, I read it and moved on.

However, that question popped up once again this week, except this time it was asked of me. A friend wanted my OPINION on a statement a televangelist had made on the T.V. that evening. I gave my OPINION on the subject, and, seeing it wasn't really anything of weight or importance, we both moved on. But, for some reason I pondered on that word opinion and even counsel. Allow me some room here please.

I was raised,spiritually speaking, under a ministry, actually a time that placed great emphasis on a teaching known as "spiritual authority." Watchman Nee's book of the same title was a must read by all of us in this camp. No great detail is needed here, but the concept was one of rank. Superior, subordinate, much like the structure in the military. You had a guy at the top who heard from God about the direction one or all should go and that was filtered down to the "soldiers" who sat on the pew for the execution of the plan. That is an incomplete and simplistic description, but it will suffice for our discussion. Now, to be sure ,I personally did not then and do not now reject that concept. As a matter of fact, I believe that the righteous kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ will be set up on those lines.

Unfortunately, we do not presently have as our commander the Lord Jesus do we?And therein lies the problem. With that foundation, I want to look at this from the "soldier's" point of view. The pew sitter. Why? Because, that's what I am. A layman. A pew sitter.

Here's what many times happens. We, as pew sitters, rely on the messenger rather than God Himself. As well intentioned and sincere as the messenger may be, they are still just the messenger.God uses them to draw or direct our attention to Him. He never intended that the messenger be the "final voice of authority" in our lives.
            
God wants, indeed commands that if we want success, we bow to Him and His counsel. That success is found in communion with Him. That success cannot be found in a charismatic personality. It cannot be found in a teaching commentary or a scholar's interpretation. It can only be found one on one in His presence. He, for some reason, will not let me move on from this basic truth. In these perilous times the direction and comfort for my soul is found only in alone time with Him.

You see Paul spent three days fasting after his encounter with the Lord Jesus. He knew who had spoken to him on that road,"I am Jesus" the Lord had spoken to him.However God required Paul to wait in Damascus to be told what to do. During that time He sought no one's counsel. He didn't submit it to authority for approval or opinion. He fasted and waited. But then, when God's answer came, Paul hit the ground running.

Acts 9:20 (ESV) 20  And immediately he proclaimed Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.”
Brothers and sisters, human counsel, no matter how sincere is still just that..human counsel.No, we do not isolate ourselves on some spiritual island, rejecting anything that anyone has to say. Not at all. But, at the end of the day, ultimately, we must rely on what God has spoken to us in the quietness of our prayer closets. Nothing else will do, no matter what I or anyone else thinks. The voices that surround us these days will only grow more numerous and louder.The confusion is only going to become more pronounced.We must not allow ourselves into thinking that any man has the final, ultimate answer to life's questions. 

 Psalm 85:8 (ESV) 8  Let me hear what God the LORD will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly.



God Bless 








   

No comments:

Post a Comment