Friday, November 27, 2015

Consider The Source

Consider The Source                                 11-27-15

Luke 17:15-16 (ESV) 15  Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice;
16  and he fell on his face at Jesus’ feet, giving him thanks. Now he was a Samaritan.


Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving yesterday! I am presently paying the price for failing  yesterday to not gormandize .(There's one for you Pastor Doug) At any rate, in the midst of recovering from my self induced food and sugar coma yesterday, while reading, I came across this phrase.

Consider the source.

We often use that phrase in a negative connotation don't we? We will read about something that someone said or did. Or more often than not, that phrase will come up while we are TALKING about what someone else said or did."Well, just consider the source....." You know don't you? (smile)

The above verse though, sheds a positive light on that phrase doesn't it? This Samaritan figured it out didn't he? Take a look.

Consider- To think carefully about. To contemplate or reflect upon. To turn over in one's mind. 

You know I don't mind all the "commercialization" of Christmas. As a point in fact, I rather enjoy it. All the hustle and bustle, the decorations, it's a great time of year. Watching this year's version of the Walmart Black Friday, I was tempted  in my heart to say "I would never do that"..... until I remembered a Black Friday many years ago. As a parent of two young boys, I ran(not walked) but RAN to the BIG WHEEL display,punching and kicking to be FIRST in line to get that must have Big Wheel!!

But, this Samaritan had it right didn't he? Just what are you saying Ronnie? Just this. He considered the source did he not? Look again at the passage. Ten lepers were healed by Jesus. Now, I am betting that these men were jubilant and could not wait to share their healing with their family and friends.....and understandably so. BUT, one, for some reason ,began to consider. As he went, he began to contemplate...he began to turn it over in his mind.....and he figured it out. It was a revelation. 

"...when he saw that he was healed, turned back...."

You know something, as a parent and father, my heart would almost burst when my children would take time out from the "big wheels" and come up to me, give me a hug and say a simple "thanks Dad." At those times, I would have moved heaven and earth for them if I could have. Now, if God built us that way, I bet that He enjoys us considering Him in that way too, don't you think? Sure He does!

Listen, brothers and sisters, want to commune with God? Want to get close to Him? This Samaritan teaches us all a lesson. In the midst of all the gormandizing, all the giving and getting of gifts, take some ALONE time and consider. 
Get away and turn it over in your mind. Understand that the Lord Jesus is the SOURCE of ALL that is GOOD in your life. Indeed, He is your(and my) provider, your(and my) healer, our Savior and Lord.

During the jubilance and excitement, when we understand that we have been healed and provided for, let's take some time and TURN BACK and give the God of all Glory, thanks.   

Psalm 95:2-3 (ESV) 2  Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
3  For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.


God Bless



   

No comments:

Post a Comment