Friday, December 27, 2013

A News Year's Resolution...?                                                          12-27-13

I don't make New Year's resolutions anymore. The RESOLVE in my resolution to lose 20 pounds quickly melts as the visions of  Penn Station cheesesteaks or  Firehouse Sub meatball marinaras dance wildly about in my head. As someone once told me" they call me by name." Oh well...I will trod down to the gym and do my penance on the treadmill as if it will do me any good. Unfortunately those 20 pounds aren't coming off without a dose of self control and discipline. Amen?  As I was thinking about what to write today, this passage rolled by my eyes.

1 Timothy 4:7-8 (NASB) 7  But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness;
8  for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

The Apostle Paul is encouraging Timothy, his pupil in the faith to train himself to attain to godliness. Why? Because it holds promise not only for the next life, but, for THIS LIFE as well. I thought to myself"hmmm... that sounds like a good New Year's resolution. Let's see here.. Godliness..hmm oh here it is. According to Mounce's Expository Dictionary, it is defined as "a manner of life that is devoted to God." Also, Paul exhorts Timothy (and by default you and me of course) pursue godliness strenuously. 

1 Timothy 6:11 (NASB) 11  But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.
But, I need a little more help here ..it's just not... wait a minute there it is. Look at this.
Godliness is a life DEVOTED to God. O.K lets see here...devoted, that's it. there it is.

Devoted-" to attend to or devote oneself to in a regular and steadfast manner." To be around or commune with in a consistent and persistent manner. You see, I had the wrong idea about Godliness.
Godliness isn't about being "spiritual," I can't find Godliness in a set of rules of conduct or behavior; whether they have been set by me or someone else. No, that in and of itself is nothing more than mere religion. Godliness eludes me when I attempt to tie it to some doctrine or creed. You know what I mean don't you? You have to believe a certain way(usually the way I believe) to be "Godly." Allow me this aside on doctrine. While there are some fundamental truths about the Christian faith, once we go beyond Christ, the Cross and His Resurrection, it's ALL DOCTRINE. Remember this brothers and sisters, God is the Judge and the Justifier. He is the author and FINISHER of our faith, and only when we stand before the Lord Jesus will we be called to account for our doctrines and our works. Jesus and JESUS ALONE will decide whether our works will stand or fall before Him.

1 Corinthians 3:12-13 (NASB) 12  Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13  each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.

You see folks being Godly isn't about rules or conduct. It isn't about saying the right things or acting the right way. It's not about outward appearance. Being Godly is about being with and around God. It's about letting Him free your heart from hatred. It's about letting Him free your mind from worry.(something I saw on Facebook today) It's about you and me ceasing from our attempts at "being spiritual" and attending to God; letting HIM make us spiritual from the inside out. Do we want a "Godly" new year? Then let us spend time meditating on His Word. Let us spend time with Him alone in His presence and allow the Holy Spirit to direct our lives. Let us pursue TRUE righteousness and godliness.

Happy New Year All.

Psalm 139:23-24 (NASB) 23  Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
24  And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.



God Bless

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete