Friday, December 13, 2013

Only In The Next Life                                                                  12-13-13

1 Corinthians 13:12 (NASB) 12  For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

Pastor Doug's son Joshua wrote me a note this week. In it he wondered aloud if the messages were impacting people's lives. He then made this comment "We will know for sure in the next life.." That set me to thinking. There are things that happen in this life that are ..well...strange. Or as one fast food company advertises "outside the box."  They are dissonant(my new word for the week) out of harmony. You see it all the time. An evangelist will have a healing ministry and some people get healed and some don't. Others are called to prophesy and some of their prophecies come to pass and some don't. There are ministries that we would label as shallow and self-serving; yet, God prospers and uses them mightily for His purposes. While others that we consider far more insightful and in depth, labor in obscurity,seemingly forgotten by God. Personal theologies are adjusted and overhauled to harmonize with reality. Just recently a nationally prominent Pastor wrote a scathing rebuke of a prominent theological position. It didn't work, it didn't fit. It wasn't in harmony with his belief system. He was left with no other avenue save to attack it.

During a conversation this week I was reminded of a popular saying from the movie "Rudy." In response to a question posed to him by Rudy,the priest in the movie said that in 30 something years of ministry he(the priest) had learned two incontrovertible facts, "...there is a God and I ain't Him!" Brothers and sisters that basically sums it up.


Isaiah 55:8-9 (NASB) 8  "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.
9  "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.


Allow me to present you with a profound and even scary concept.I hesitate to even speak about it because my understanding of it is infantile at best. But, it is on my heart so I'll go with it.

God Is Sovereign. Again. God Is Sovereign

That's it Ronnie !?? God is sovereign?? Sheesshh Jenkins...everybody knows that!

Maybe.

Sovereign
1) a monarch; a king, queen, or other supreme ruler
2)a person who has supreme power or authority

Those words make good sense...sometimes. Supreme power, unquestioned and unchallenged authority, supreme authority. Truths about the God that you and I serve. These are lofty and well received words when all is well.When there is enough money in the bank, when we have good health, WHEN ALL IS WELL.

But, and let me state emphatically here that I am preaching to me at this point. BUT,when our lives are outside the box, when ALL IS NOT WELL, when our current and long held theology ISN'T working... God is STILL SOVEREIGN. When all hell is breaking loose in our lives, when there is nothing but affliction and suffering, He is still working His purpose. Listen brothers and sisters, consider those words CAREFULLY. I assure you that I will. We are frail creatures folks. I can unashamedly confess that I WILL crumble under the SLIGHTEST AFFLICTION without God's grace to see me through. No amount of personal piety, repentance, prayer etc., etc., will strengthen me sufficiently. All of my "spirituality" lay in a dirty heap at the foot of the savior. I stand, no that is wrong, He UPHOLDS me in the power of His grace and His grace alone. I am helpless on my own accord. All of our theologies are just that. Theologies. Our knowledge of the one true God. And as the scripture says, it is at best partial and incomplete. Our confidence, knowledge, power and WHATEVER else we claim to be is wrapped up in one word JESUS.

Hebrews 12:1-2 (NASB) 2  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The beginner and finisher of our faith. Grace plus absolutely nothing. That's all our hope. 

God Is Sovereign.

Psalm 107:1-2 (NASB) 1
 Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
2  Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, Whom He has redeemed from the hand of the adversary



God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment