Friday, February 3, 2017

Don't Be A But

Don't Be A But                                                02-03-17

Well, here I am on Friday again. Due to a change in my work schedule I am back to blogging on Friday once more.We shall see what next week has in store. smile.

Some years back the Holy Spirit put that phrase in my heart. It was for me. I was a but. And,to be up front with you,to a large extent I still am a but!!Huh? Whadda you say Ronnie? O.K. Try and go along with me here.

There are words that we use in everyday language,that while hardly noticed,carry a lot of weight in their usage,especially in the Bible.I remember a preacher used to always say this about the word therefore,"When you read Therefore,find out what it's there for." "But" is another one of those words that carries a lot of weight.

The word but is a conjunction. A conjunction is a word that connects contrasting phrases. That is,phrases that are strikingly different.I read a Jewish commentary years ago on what the Rabbi's thought about this one word.What they had to say was interesting and herein lieth the lesson.

The general consensus of what I read was this. The word "But"most,if not all cases wipes out everything that has been said up to that point.We make a statement,we add the word but and everything that we have said up to that point is wiped out.Then we follow the but with a new statement that becomes our purpose clause. That last statement is what we're really thinking. Ya feel me here? O.K. That being said.

 I've been reading in 2nd Corinthians recently.I took a look at a couple of chapters and here are a few examples of what I am talking about.

2 Corinthians 1:9 (ESV) 9  Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.

2 Corinthians 3:5-6 (ESV) 5  Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God,

2 Corinthians 4:8-9 (ESV) 8  We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair;
9  persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;


On and on. I have not counted,BUT I am sure there are thousands of examples and usages of this word in the Scripture. And here is my point.It's all about perspective isn't it? It's all about that word BUT and how we see it in our lives isn't it? If we are not very careful,we can begin to use that word as an excuse or a crutch to believe a lie that the enemy tries to place in our hearts and minds.

"Well, I was going to give BUT..."
"I believe God spoke to me to do this BUT..."
"I've been praying and believing for this BUT..."

Sound familiar? You feelin' me here? I don't know about you,BUT I can certainly relate. You see when it comes to God and His promises,instructions and whatnot the devil always inserts the word BUT into our thinking. he tries to wipe out every thing that God has promised us in our lives by providing  a crutch or an excuse to live in unbelief. And many if not all times he will introduce us to that very word. BUT.

We will be faced with obstacles and circumstances in our lives and the enemy will say BUT. Look at this. Think about some of the giants in your life and put your name in where you see Andrew.

John 6:8-9 (ESV) 8  One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said to him,
9  “There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what are they for so many?”


Read the story. The disciples were faced with an impossible circumstance. Their faith was being tested.I can almost picture this in my mind. I can see myself in this scenario perfectly. Jesus asked the disciples how they were going to feed all those people. Andrew,(Ronnie)standing to the side is wondering what Jesus is up to. He(ME) thinks maybe"no way we can feed these people...." Then all of a sudden this kid comes up and offers his lunch. A glimmer of hope arises in Andrew's (Ronnie's) soul. He's seen Jesus perform some pretty miraculous stuff along the way(me too!) Maybe...just maybe...then Andrew(Ronnie) looks out on all those people and.... wait for it.....wait for it........BUT..what?... BUT Jesus...BUT WHAT ARE THEY FOR SO MANY? Andrew (Ronnie) just wiped out everything that had preceded that word.

You gettin' my drift here? God speaks to our heart. He wants to show us His power and presence in our lives. His promises are not yes and no. They are Yes are they not?

2 Corinthians 1:18-20 (ESV) 18  As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No.
19  For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not Yes and No, but in him it is always Yes.
20  For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.


We pray,we have a need,God gives us an encouragement that He is going to answer us and BAM!! here comes the enemy. Or maybe WE begin to second guess and doubt and all of a sudden we're saying BUT. That's what the devil does best. Ahhh..but listen..if we,you and me can just keep our eyes on the prize. If we can just let Jesus fill us up, if we can yield to Him and allow Him to change our perspective. THAT is where and when we will find the miracle working power of the Lord God.

Brothers and sisters it's all in how we see it. It's all about how we use those words in our hearts. That word BUT can rob you of a promise and blessing that God has in store for you OR it can be the lever that opens up the windows of heaven in your life and in those around you. BUT,it is up to you and me.

Psalm 34:10 (ESV) 10  The young lions suffer want and hunger; BUT those who seek the LORD lack no good thing. (caps mine)

Psalm 34:19 (ESV) 19  Many are the afflictions of the righteous, BUT the LORD delivers him out of them all.
(caps mine)



God Bless















1 comment: