Friday, February 17, 2017

Dial 53787

 Dial 53787                                                  02-17-17 

Proverbs 29:18 (ESV) 18  Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law.


No, this is not an appeal to Dial A Prophet for a 5 dollar reading. lol. You'll figure it out soon enough. At any rate this is a favorite verse of mine but I rarely quote it correctly. I don't misquote it, I just usually don't quote it in it's entirety. It's like that verse in Revelation. I leave off the last part. Especially the one in Revelation. 

Revelation 12:11 (ESV) 11  And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

Anyway,not important,just an introductory rant. I remember Memaw,my mother,in the last years of her life struggled mightily with loneliness and purpose. She had people around her but she continually fought depression because she felt that she had no reason for being here. She had no purpose or vision. No real reason to get up in the morning. Therefore,she felt very lonely and alone in the world.My sister and I had many conversations with her trying to encourage her,but mostly to no avail.That feeling of loneliness surfaced again in my travels this week;and I remembered the phrase my friend and mentor Pastor Doug had spoken to me on many different occasions.

"You have to have a reason to get up in the morning."

Simple and straightforward,but many times especially as we get older,it can be perplexing to come up with one. You know.A reason.Kids are all grown up living their own lives. Those rugrats we call grandkids also grow up and get their own lives.And here we sit. All dressed up,with no party to go to. You feelin'me here?Loneliness and lack of purpose however don't discriminate due to age. It's there for everybody isn't it? That's when you and I have to dial 53787. And herein lieth the lesson.

That verse in Proverbs is actually directed at a nation. Without a leadership that has a vision for the future,the people become lawless. They throw off restraint. You see the key is the word prophetic. The KJV misses it a little bit here. That phrase "prophetic vision" can also be translated revelation. The KJV leaves that out. I did a little study and it seems the intent of the author was to distinguish just where the vision was coming from. You see,he wanted to accent the fact that this vision or revelation had to be a message FROM THE LORD to His people. The 5 dollar for 30 minute revelation from the "prophet" on the other end of the line is not in view here.

You see brothers and sisters,if you are feeling lonely and all alone;if you can't find a purpose or reason to get up on the morning,then you need a prophetic vision.You need a revelation from the Lord concerning your future. All you need do is get alone and seek His wisdom. I don't know about you,but many times I look everywhere and to everyone BUT God trying to find a reason.

But sometimes you have to be a Tennessee Volunteer. (I know I'm shameless)Look at this.

Psalm 110:3 (NASB) 3  Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power; In holy array, from the womb of the dawn, Your youth are to You as the dew.


The Bible encourages us to ask God if we don't have any purpose or vision. It tells us to volunteer our services to Him. Why not? You,me,WE can't find any purpose,meaning,or reason anyway can we? What's it's going to hurt? If we will pour out our hearts to Him and  take time to listen,I'll bet He can find something for us to do.All we have to lose is discouragement,depression and loneliness. You feel me?

I am now reminded of Paul's admonition to Timothy. Listen to this.

2 Timothy 1:6-7 (ESV) 6  For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands,
7  for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.


Even Timothy got a little down in the dumps didn't he? I believe that he may have been a little discouraged because of a lack of purpose. He may have been feeling alone and lonely. I'm not sure,but it seems plausible enough.Paul had to remind Timothy that he had a gift from God Almighty. He had a reason for getting up. But,he had to use and work that gift. He had to fan it into a flame.

Get alone with God.If you feel like life is passing you by, let Him remind you of the gift He has placed in you. Then fan it into a flame in your soul.

Dial 53787.

Psalm 123:2 (ESV) 2  Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maidservant to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he has mercy upon us.



God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment