Friday, February 10, 2017

Area Of Influence                                          02-10-17

2 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV) 13  But we will not boast beyond limits, but will boast only with regard to the area of influence God assigned to us, to reach even to you.
 

I got angry last night. As my son Adrian's all time favorite rock band, Pink Floyd so aptly put it, I had a Momentary Lapse Of Reason. You a Pink Floyd fan Rick? Anyway, looking back on it,I could have handled it better. Shelley told me that maybe I needed to "work on it" a little bit more.(smile) Can anybody out there relate or is it only me? At any rate, as I was laying in bed this morning, this verse grabbed me. Actually it was the phrase "area of influence" that caught my attention.

If you read this passage of Scripture,you will notice that Paul is anxious for the Corinthian Church concerning  a couple of issues. The context is speaking to what we would today call proselytizing. More bluntly, Paul was worried that some others were coming in with a different message,trying to steal church members. Or that these super apostles might be wanting to march in and benefit themselves after he(Paul) had done the hard labor of planting and nurturing the church. I read an article many years ago that claimed that in America, 50% (maybe the figure was higher I can't remember) of church growth was due to one church proselytizing another;or due to people getting upset with their present church and hopping to another one,only to have that church take them in without attempting to persuade them to reconcile with the "offending" church.My point here today is this:the offenses,the attacks seem always to take place in our area of influence don't they? It is unclear who the "super apostles" were that Paul spoke of, but he was concerned for his Corinthian flock. He had a godly jealously for those under his care,his area of influence.He reminds them that he was the first to preach the Gospel to them. He was their spiritual Father

1 Corinthians 4:15 (ESV) 15  For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

With that contextual footing laid,I believe there is an application for our lives here,from a slightly different angle. We all have an area of influence don't we? A sphere,or a realm of people that God has measured out to us, our area of influence. It may be a huge mega-mega-church;or it may extend no further than our living room. No matter the size,it is where God has placed us to be an influence in the lives of others. And herein lieth the lesson.

I have said this before. It has been my experience that the enemy is rarely moved when I send $10 to a charity to minister to a non descript person whom I will never meet or have any interaction with. I'm not too sure if the enemy is overly concerned about my feelings and sympathies for someone in some hell hole half way around the world. Why,you may ask? Simply this. Those folks aren't in my area of influence. While I can certainly pray for those folk that are suffering those atrocities, I have no direct influence in their lives. The attack isn't going to come in those areas. No,no.

BUT. When I start praying for those that I live,eat and sleep with....When I begin to contribute and support those churches and ministries that have an interest in me and my area of influence...when I make an effort to share the Gospel by word and deed with my family,friends and co workers THERE is where the accuser is going to concentrate his efforts. It is with those folk...THAT is with whom the devil is going to stoke and ignite the conflicts. Ya feelin' me here?

Excuse my crudeness here,but I don't believe God has too much of a problem when I say a bad word after I have stubbed my toe out in my back yard.Nope. Where it gets distressing is when I have a lapse, and in a fit of anger, I go off on a loved one sitting across from me in my living room. Does that make sense? Yeah, I hear ya. Amen or Oh me! LOL.

It happens. And, more than likely it won't be the last time it happens. Yes,God,and with His grace,my unfortunate victim forgives.But,BUT, I fear that God and God alone is the only one that FORGETS my transgression. The damage has been done hasn't it? I can't take it back can I. The truth of the matter is this, it's not the child,or man,or woman in Syria that you and I are going to hurt is it? No,no,it's the child,man,or woman in the next room isn't it?They are the ones that suffer when we miss the mark are they not?

Brothers and sisters,I'm writing about where I live here.I haven't attained to that level of where I never lose it. Maybe you have....I have not. But, as God showed your's truly once again this morning, it's in my area of influence,those that I have direct contact with,that is where the trickster is laying in the tall weeds to pounce on me unawares. 

I...WE should endeavor to be vigilant.

1 Peter 5:8 (ESV) 8  Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

The Apostle Paul said somewhere that he was not ignorant of satan's devices. And neither should we. Amen and Amen.

Thank God that He is God!

Psalm 65:2-3 (ESV) 2  O you who hear prayer, to you shall all flesh come.
3  When iniquities prevail against me, you atone for our transgressions.



God Bless













   

No comments:

Post a Comment