Monday, January 23, 2017

The More Things Change

The More Things Change....                               01-23-17

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 (ESV) 9  What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.
10  Is there a thing of which it is said, “See, this is new”? It has been already in the ages before us.



"......the more they remain the same..." Isn't that the way the saying goes? I get daily posts from an Internet group that is made up of folks that went to Fulton High School. I rarely reply,but I do enjoy keeping up with the lives of a lot of old friends and classmates. Anyway,a few days ago I got a post of a senior picture of my sister who graduated from Fulton in 19??. I copied  it and with the help of my computer literate wife was able to email the picture to Betty.It was her simple reply that birthed this post. She simply said"sure have changed." And that set me to thinking.

On my first day(Saturday past) driving a KAT bus on my own,I came face to face with hundreds of people marching down Gay Street. I was forced to pull over at the corner where the Bijou  theatre is for all you Knoxvillians out there. I was then directed by police to go straight which was off route and whatnot. I had to get on the radio and tell base of my position and whatnot. Not too much for a veteran bus driver,but a little disconcerting for a rookie of one day.At the next corner I was forced to wait about 15 minutes to let the protesters cross the intersection where I was to turn. As I waited and watched all the sign waving and shouting,my mind went back to the days of my generation. The 60's were rife with a spirit of rebellion and protest. Heck,as an 18 year old skull full of mush teenager, I may have participated in a march or two. Long time ago.(smile)

Anyway,as I read early this rainy morn of all the events and stuff that happened over this weekend;and thought about what my sweet sister had said,the above verse popped into my 66 year old skull full of mush. There is nothing new under the sun. And then it hit me.There is ONE thing that SURELY changes with time. And that would be ME. That would be YOU.That would be US! As I looked at my sister's senior picture and then at mine, I realized the truth of what God says in His Word. And herein lieth the lesson.

James 4:13-14 (ESV) 13  Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”—
14  yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.



The KJV says our lives are as "vapors"

Brothers and sisters,if Jesus tarries for another thousand years,men and women,boys and girls,will be taking to the streets,the airwaves,the media to protest one or another of the many injustices that we as human beings perpetrate on one another. As surely as the sun rises tomorrow,people will also rise and go about whatever it is that they do on a daily basis. And rest assured,injustices,real and perceived,will be debated and protested from now on. It remains the same. But,BUT...

You and I will not remain the same! When I was eighteen years old,I thought that I would live forever. Getting and being old never entered my consciousness. The only thoughts of my mortality and death were upon learning of the demise of a loved one or of someone that I knew. Those thoughts vanished as instantly as they had arisen. You getting my drift here? Staring eternity in the face was NOT something on my agenda.It was not something I did.

Aahhh...but now...like a mist....like a vapor from a spray bottle... my life has passed before me. I am now approaching eternity with the Lord Jesus and His Word suddenly becoming VERY RELEVANT!!  You feelin' me here?

As I watched those protesters march the other day,and as I thought upon my sister's profound response, the verse in Ecclesiastes crossed my lips.A new President,
to the chagrin of many and the delight of many others,has been duly elected and inaugurated. But,today in about two hours, I will put on my KAT uniform and go drive a bus for eight hours. You also will go about your daily routine,mostly unaffected by the drama of the weekend. Nothing will really change in our lives as a result. It will mostly be business as usual. The only real and lasting change that you and I will experience is the fact that we both will be one day closer to meeting the Lord Jesus Christ,face to face.He,Jesus,is the only TRUE constant that we have isn't He? The ROCK of our salvation.

In an age,like all other ages that is clothed in discord,dissension,and controversy let us take pause.Let us consider the only material change that is taking place on this earth. That being the change that is taking place in us. You and me.While considering that TRUTH,maybe we all,YOU and ME should take pause and spend a little time upon those Words written many,many moons ago.

Hebrews 13:8 (ESV) 8  Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

The only thing that changes is US!!While we spend some time with those words,we just might want to spend a little time with the Author.Amen?

Psalm 111:10 (ESV) 10  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!

God Bless










No comments:

Post a Comment