Monday, January 9, 2017

I Am Indebted

I Am Indebted                                              01-09-17

Once again,my work schedule today requires another early posting.

Romans 15:27 (NASB) 27  Yes, they were pleased to do so, and they are indebted to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in their spiritual things, they are indebted to minister to them also in material things.

I read an article the other day about bad things happening in this country of ours over the past 50 or 60 years. It centered on ten natural disasters. Everything from "the perfect storm" (remember that?) to Katrina(remember that!) It wasn't the disasters that caught this reader's eye so much as the uncanny proximity of the timing of the disasters with this country's political maneuvering concerning the nation of Israel. It seems that whenever this nation CHOSE to pursue policies that were directly detrimental to the nation of Israel,something bad happened.I won't attempt to explain.Just thought that I would throw that out since this nation just CHOSE to take a stand AGAINST Israel at the United Nations. It is on the internet if you want to read about it. You can make up your own mind on it. 

That being said,the above verse speaks to a debt that the Gentiles owed the saints in Jerusalem. A material debt owed due to the spiritual blessings that they enjoyed through the Jewish race and the Jewish nation.The Apostle Paul had more to say about this. Look at this.

Romans 1:16 (NASB) 16  For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Romans 2:9-10 (NASB) 9  There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek,
10  but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.


See a common thread? To the Jew first.

 If you read through the Book of Acts,you will discover that not only Paul but God Almighty Himself offered the Gospel to the Jew first. Only after the final rejection by the Jewish nation of their Messiah,Jesus of Nazareth,was the Gospel "sent" to the Gentiles. No,this is not a political message concerning the support of Jews and the nation of Israel;although that support is warranted in my mind,based on what I read in God's Word. But that's not what is on my mind today. It's about gratitude and appreciation for those in our lives that have shared God's Word with us.And herein lieth the lesson.

I owe a debt that can never be repaid.I can remember on a number of occasions folks coming to my aid in times of distress. The kindness and love they shone towards me in my time of need is a debt that I can't repay. This is especially true in the spirit realm isn't it? For ALL of us don't you think? I can still remember the day I got saved. If it had not been for someone sharing the Gospel with me that day, I might be lost and without hope today.I have been told on many,many different occasions that it could have been anyone that day. It could have happened at a later date on and on. I completely understand that. And my pat,standard,unwavering response to that is just this. Yes it could've been someone else at some other time........BUT IT WASN'T!!! You feelin' me here?

It could have been the French that God chose to bring the Gospel message. The Russians, the Germans, but it wasn't. It was the Jews and for that we are indebted to them.

Brothers and sisters,it could have been any church that ministered to you and your family in your time of need. It could have been any Pastor or Preacher that gave of their time to hear from God,to deliver that word to you that changed the direction of your life. It could have been anyone who spent time alone in prayer for you and your family and loved ones. BUT IT WASN'T. It was that one person,or one Pastor,or one Church that God placed in your life to share with you the spiritual benefits of the Gospel. And for that reason, YOU AND I OWE THEM. Make no mistake about that. Paul is decidedly clear. Not only in this passage,but in 1st and 2nd Corinthians, 1st and 2nd Timothy and other places,the Word of God is clear.Material support is in view here. Yes,there are other ways to support. But here,in these passages,material support is the context.If you and I have benefited spiritually from the labor of someone or someone's, then we owe them materially.Just that simple.

Just as this nation and indeed the whole world is indebted to the Jewish nation and people for the oracles of God not to mention JESUS,the one and only savior;so we are debtors to those who have prayed,taught,mentored and loved us to where we are now. Just sayin'

On the subject of indebtedness and gratitude,a gentle nudge or reminder

Psalm 130:3-4 (NASB) 3  If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
4  But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.



God Bless

     



1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of our Pastors question one Sunday "when was the last time you shed a tear over your loved ones souls?". Not for our reward but theirs one day. Love ya Ronnie, Good word

    ReplyDelete