Monday, December 26, 2016

the Living Years

The Living Years                                            12-26-16

Romans 13:8 (ESV) 8  Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.  
A short observation this week. I sat in my living room turned insane asylum yesterday morning about 7:00A.M. I had been suddenly awakened by my wife informing me that it was time. You know.Time to let loose the two Tasmanian devils who were bound in the bedroom salivating to see what Santa had brought them. I nodded sleepily,rose and trod down the hallway to the mound of presents and what not,waiting for Chloe and Maddie Grace.Dogs were roaming around. Cat was shut up in the bedroom,pacing back and forth,wailing while waiting it's turn. And so it began.It would be a process that would be repeated over and again. Tearing into the wrapped presents, the "oh wow,look at this!!" Then the opened present would be summarily tossed aside and the next unopened surprise would be torn into.On and on and on until the wrapping paper was piled up waist high.Finally,the carnage was over and it was time to cook breakfast,eat,and pile up to the next stop for an instant replay.

Sure enough at the next stop(Bill and Sharon's) we had an instant replay with one exception. There were three more T.D's waiting to rip into their Grandma and Grandpa's presents. So there it was. People eating,kids playing,general chaos all around.After eating myself into a modified sugar coma, I sat quietly in a corner on the floor and dozed in and out most of the afternoon.Can anybody say gluttony?And herein lieth the lesson.

During one of my conscious moments,watching friends and family eat, while trying to avoid the attack of the power rangers,after being asked every ten minutes if the Ipod needed to be charged.....I thought about the folks that weren't there.Some were in different places,celebrating with others. Then my mind retrieved memories of those close to me that would never celebrate Christmas again on this earth.While I considered this,the song "The Living Years" crossed my mind.I couldn't remember who had written that song so I hummed what I could remember.Not long thereafter,I was interrupted for the umpteenth time(the urge to kill lol) and the moment evaporated.It was gone.

But this thought stuck with me.

Love em while they're here. They,or you and I may not be around the next time the opportunity to tell them that you love them comes along. Ya feelin'me here?
What does the Book say?

Ecclesiastes 9:4 (ESV) 4  But he who is joined with all the living has hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

There's going to be a day should Jesus tarry, when you might not be able to tell that difficult child that you love them. A day is approaching when that friend or inlaw or outlaw who gets on your last nerve might not be here. Or it may be you or me that departs!! Don't wait until they are placing flowers on your's or my grave to tell those that matter how much  you love them. Tell them while there's still time.Tell them in the living years.

Psalm 36:7 (ESV) 7  How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.



God Bless





          

1 comment:

  1. Embrace today, for yesterday is gone, as we are not promised tomorrow will ever come! Love you Ronnie, we appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete