Friday, December 9, 2016

Its In Jesus

Its In Jesus                                                     12-09-16

Romans 7:24-25 (ESV) 24  Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!......


 Take a listen to this old Gospel favorite.

https://youtu.be/pRLNBoL15q8

I tried to find a recording of our church in Georgia doing this song because they did it better than the New Jersey Mass Choir.Alas,it was not to be. This is a great rendition though. I have sit in many,many services and this song would be sung and the Holy Ghost would FALL! You know...one of those down home Holy Ghost meetins' I'm telling you.. God was in the house!! Great,Great song.

I was talking with a co worker at lunch this week past. We have become friends of a sort;and as he recounted to me his story,(recently released from 8 years in prison) what was going on in his life, and his struggles,the above verse came to mind."... Who will deliver me from this body of death?..." And herein lieth the lesson.

You know scholars argue,debate whether this 7th chapter of Romans was written to Christians or not. I've read many arguments supporting both sides of the debate. I have my opinion on the subject.And as my stepfather Stewart used to say "That opinion and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee at the Pilot." You feelin'me here?

That being said,we all struggle with different issues don't we? You know,different strokes for different folks. Physical struggles with the many types of addiction and abuse.Mental and emotional struggles that rob us of our strength and joy. Doubts,fears,evil imaginations that rise up against us,and exalt themselves against the knowledge of God.What was it Job said?

Job 5:7 (ESV) 7  but man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward.
 



 As the saying goes,"the struggle is real." If we are not careful we can become overwhelmed. When we have failed yet again in the battle with that familiar sin.Or we have behaved in a hurtful way towards someone for no reason,and we sit guilt ridden and sorrowful, we can lose hope.Like a dog returning to it's vomit.

Maybe you haven't been there but I certainly have. I can relate to Paul's statement in Romans. WHO WILL DELIVER ME FROM THIS BODY OF DEATH!!

Brothers and sisters the world will offer all sorts and kinds of solutions. Self help books,courses,seminars. AA, Alanon, (both of which do great works)on and on and on. All of these different avenues do provide help.Problem is they are temporal. They are band aids that provide relief but do not cure. They address the outward symptoms but fail to get to the heart of the matter. The reason being that the problem is not exterior,but inward,a matter of the heart.The giants inevitably return don't they? What are we to do?

While we were training on the bus yesterday another trainee,a friend of the man in my story,asked him to sing a song. Right there on the bus while we were driving! There were seven or eight of us sitting in back and I didn't know what he would do. After a few seconds another one chimed in and requested a song. All these trainees are young and full of life.It is refreshing to listen to them joking and playing around all the time.I am the old bah humbug grandpa of the bunch. Anyway,to my surprise, this young man began to belt a chorus of "His eye is on the Sparrow"right there on the bus!!And man o man what a voice! Come to find out he had been in the prison choir and trust me... he could sing a blue streak.

At any rate, what I wanted to tell you is this guy found the answer. Or rather the answer found him. Its in Jesus.Your answer,my answer,ITS IN JESUS! Jesus found this young man in a prison cell and delivered him from a life of sin and debauchery. He still has issues. His past still tries to pull him back in. But,as he says what am I going do?There's only one way.That's it in a nutshell.

Only one savior. Only one deliverer. Only one healer.

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

I have found a love that pardons
I have found some stripes that heal
I have found strength for my weakness
I have found grace to cover all my sins
It’s in Jesus
Only Jesus
It’s in Jesus
He’s the One
Rock of salvation
A strong foundation
It’s in Jesus
He is the One
Rock of salvation
A firm foundation
It’s in Jesus
He is the One
Hallelujah
He is the One

THANKS BE TO GOD THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD!

Psalm 146:7-8 (ESV) 7  who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets the prisoners free;
8  the LORD opens the eyes of the blind. The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.



God Bless
   

  


No comments:

Post a Comment