Friday, September 2, 2016

Salt Is Good

Salt Is Good                                                      09--2-16

Mark 9:50 (ESV) 50  Salt is good, but if the salt has lost its saltiness, how will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.”
Matthew 5:13 (ESV) 13  “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.


"The dose makes the poison." In my reading this day I came across this apparently oft used cliche of toxicologists.In most instances,not all(their are some poisonous substances out there) in most instances is isn't what we take that poisons us but how much. Us laymen call it an overdose. That said,it was the actions or action of a professional athlete this week past that spurred this message.Whether it be right or wrong, truthful or hypocritical is not a part of this narrative,nor should it be.But it was salty,maybe too much so. At any rate... 

I did some research on the properties of salt.I'm sure you need no education on this but here they are anyway. Salt preserves,it heals wounds,creates thirst,melts coldness,and most relevant for today improves taste or flavor. It is the last property that the Holy Ghost spoke to my heart today. You see, it seems to me this is what Jesus was talking about in those verses. ".....but if the salt has lost its TASTE..."(caps mine)

I don't know about your taste buds,but just a LITTLE salt makes a steak mouth watering. Or for you healthy people out there,some salt on a nice salad makes it go down a little easier. SMILE Just kidding I love a good salad. But, you are getting my point aren't you.A little salt most times improves the flavor doesn't it? I don't know if Jesus here is talking about us being a preservative against decay or not. If that is His teaching,then the Church of this generation has failed at it's task, as a cursory glance of most any newspaper,anywhere in the world, will confirm.

 And herein lieth the lesson.

I believe the saltiness spoken of here is to be a flavor enhancer isn't it?It encourages us to try and add a little flavor to the lives of the people we interact with every day.To somehow improve their lot in life even if it is ever so small.How so Ronnie? Well, it's a kind word or deed. A telephone call.A visit in the hospital. On and on and on. Just to be real with people.To be a light to someone in our small corner of the world. We live in a world that equates this saltiness with being harsh or abrasive. It tries to browbeat and intimidate folks by "making a stand." But,usually it comes off as rudeness and self serving doesn't it? And that "stand" often becomes very,VERY wobbly under the light of public opinion doesn't it? Don't get me started.

At any rate I am reminded of a song Brother Harry Mushegan sang countless times in church. I believe it was "If I Can Help Somebody."

IF I CAN HELP SOMEBODY Alma Bazel Androzzo as rec by Gracie Fields 1948 also rec by- Michael Holliday Mahalia Jackson Josef Locke Sir Harry Secombe If I can help somebody as I pass along, If I can cheer somebody with a word or a song, If I can show somebody he is travelling wrong, Then my living shall not be in vain! Then my living shall not be in vain, Then my living shall not be in vain! If I can help somebody as I pass along, Then my living shall not be in vain! If I can do my duty as a Christian oft, If I can bring back beauty to a world up wrought, If I can spread love's message that the Master taught, Then my living shall not be in vain! Then my living shall not be in vain, Then my living shall not be in vain! If I can help somebody as I pass along, Then my living shall not be in vain! (Transcribed by Peter Akers - July 2011)

I can still hear him belting it out right now. That's what it's all about brothers and sisters.

Psalm 133:1-2 (ESV) 1 
 Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity! 2  It is like the precious oil on the head, running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron, running down on the collar of his robes!
God Bless








  


1 comment: