Friday, September 23, 2016

I Was Wrong

I Was Wrong                                                    09-23-16

Proverbs 17:10 (ESV) 10  A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding than a hundred blows into a fool.

I like the KJV better here. A bit more virile.

Proverbs 17:10 (KJV) 10  A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.


O.K. O.K. I WAS WRONG! Are you satisfied now?? Ever had to admit that to someone or better yet,to yourself?We all have at one time or another and it was my turn this week past(smile)

Without going into detail, I sought the opinion/advice/counsel of a dear and TRUSTED friend this week,the key word being trusted;and,as you might surmise by the title,it didn't go my way.You see, I was wrong. I made a mistake.Even after speaking with my friend,I attempted to justify my actions in my head. After a long while mentally rehashing to myself,out on my route that evening,the above verse came to mind.Reluctantly,I had to admit to myself,if not to anyone else,that I had screwed up. 

You see I didn't sin. I didn't have to ask God's forgiveness. I made an unsound and unwise decision. Yes... you are right. It was just plain dumb!! And while I believe this verse certainly does address sin in our lives,it also addresses our missteps and ill advised choices. And herein lieth the lesson.

You ever know anyone who is always right? I mean no matter the circumstance or situation,they always have an opinion and it's ALWAYS the right one!! (As the Holy Spirit says to me "Yes Ronnie, YOU!)( BIG SMILE)) I expect that we all must plead guilty to that offense at one time or another,don't you think?And that is what God's Word is warning against here isn't it? You see,if we are not careful we can deceive  ourselves into believing we have all the truth concerning our lives.(and occasionally everyone else's lol) We can become stubborn and resistant to the advice/counsel of others;especially when it is opposed to what we THINK is right. And that is what the above verse is talking about. When we refuse to consider a difference of opinion,when we don't allow for rebuff or correction,we become foolish don't we? If we become "stiff necked" (smile) as the Bible calls it,even though we should endure a hundred lashes,it would be to no avail.

And the result of that kind of thinking is what we are witnessing every single day, in every single corner of our nation and world. The idea of admitting that we are wrong is not only distasteful in this nation,it has become repugnant.The reason being,that oft times it involves swallowing our pride and chewing on a large piece of humble pie. You see that verse not only speaks to a frame of mind, it puts a spotlight on the condition of the heart doesn't it?  I digress. Stick to the talking point Ronnie.

Brothers and sisters,let me leave you with this last thought. No one. Nobody. Not me,not you, not Donald, not Hillary, NO ONE OR NOBODY WALKING THIS PLANET HAS ALL THE TRUTH! And we will greatly benefit if we apply this absolute truth not only to others,but more importantly to ourselves. What say you? 

1 Corinthians 13:12 (ESV) 12  For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.


We are all going to make mistakes. Even the best and brightest amongst us. But, it's not a matter of the mind,but of the heart. If we keep ourselves humble,if we allow ourselves to be teachable,if we remain receptive to correction,then I believe God will work around the faux pas and make something workable from our frequently boneheaded calls.(smiling yet again)

Psalm 119:24 (ESV) 24  Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors.
 
God Bless





  
   

   .       




 

1 comment: