Friday, August 7, 2015

Revolutionary.....?                                              08-07-15

John 5:19 (ESV) 19  So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise.

Revolutionary......just that word, if you are an American, evokes deep seated feelings of loyalty, patriotism and individualism. We even celebrate our birthing every July 4th, our Independence Day. That revolutionary spirit founded a land based on equality for almost all people and freedom from tyranny and imperialism. The greatest country on the face of the earth. Sadly, it seems that somewhere along the path, we lost our way; and now, some 240 years and counting, we now face most, if not all, of the same tyrannies that opposed our forefathers. It also seems to me that we as a people are looking to the same solutions taken by our ancestors. The haves and the have nots, redistribution of wealth, rules for radicals, too much government,you getting my drift? Even the Lord Jesus Christ has been portrayed as a radical and a revolutionary.

But, Jesus was not a political animal was He? The only time He was ever offered the Kingdom, He rejected the revolutionary movement for an earthly kingdom out of hand. (see John 6) His only purpose was to glorify the Father and accomplish the work given Him. He was neither revolutionary nor radical. But, He produced some revolutionary and radical results didn't He? And herein lies my point.

John 15:4-5 (ESV) 4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.


Abide- "to stay in a place or relation"

Jesus abided with the Father. He lived with Him. He stayed in the same place with God. He did NOTHING outside of what He saw the Father doing. There wasn't a speck of revolt or independence in Him.

As I listened to the debate last night I was immediately confronted with one glaring reality. We live in a world of deception and manipulation. Fairness and objectivity have been thrown out the door. If you are not a media darling you can expect unfair and biased treatment from the establishment. There is nothing "fair and balanced" about it. Do we want radical results in our lives? Fruits that are truly life changing?
As they say up here in the hills, you ain't gonna find it in the Republican Party, the Democratic Party or any other party.

I heard this story about a world renowned gardener this week. He was on some show and was being questioned about all sorts of maladies that were affecting the questioner's gardens. Expecting some long drawn out technical answer to their problems, the audience was somewhat taken aback at the expert's simplistic answers. Answers like "move the plant more into the sun or move it more into the shade. You are watering it too much or you are watering it too little. Too much or too little fertilizer..." on and on. Stuff anyone knows.

 God's a little like that isn't He?

 "Ronnie, all I want you to do is read your Bible and pray. You do that Ronnie and I'll take care of all the rest." "But God, you don't understand I have to.............."

"Ronnie read your Bible and pray. Abide in Me."

Want love, joy, peace, patience........? Abide in ME.

Want provision, protection,......?Abide in ME.

Folks, no power on earth can change you. No politician, newscaster, health guru , not even you yourself have the answers for the problems of our souls. God alone is the true Answer Man. 

As we enter this political season, we will be well served to keep the politicos at arm's length. They will say anything to get your vote. This nation is so starved for righteous leadership, it will believe anything coming from a voice of perceived authority. Let us pray that we are not misled by strong personalities who could care less about America or Americans. Remember Jesus' own words.

John 14:10 (ESV) 10  Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 

That would be a good starting point for judging what is said on the political trail.

Psalm 125:1 (ESV) 1
 Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.



God Bless








   





   




No comments:

Post a Comment