Friday, August 28, 2015

All That Glisters Is Not Gold

All That Glisters Is Not Gold                                      08-28-15


Proverbs 16:9 (ESV) 9  The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.


Whew!! Man O man!! Last night at work was a night from hades. I was about five hours late in completing my route and did not get into bed until 10:00 this A.M. I had no idea what I would write about and went to bed not having a clue. When I woke up about an hour ago, I was still clueless and had decided to wait until tomorrow to publish this week's blog. 

However, when I checked my phone for messages this afternoon, I had a curious text from my boss who also happens to be the big boss in this district. It read,"Call me when you can, I have a proposition." Well, I had a couple cups of coffee, read the daily Internet News psychobabble and gave my boss a call. Well, what he had to say stunned me somewhat and I pondered on it after we had hung up.

He came right out and made me a formal offer of a job, paying about triple what I make now. Not only that, the job would place me within 30 minutes of where my son and my granddaughters(one of whom I have never seen in person) are.I told him that although  I appreciated the consideration, I didn't see how I could do it. My life and home are here, in good ol' Knoxville, Tn.

Not five minutes after I hung up the phone, the voices started. "Wait a minute, Ronnie. Think about it. You could take this job, see Adrian and family, come home every weekend or every other weekend....... "  Now to that add this.

Not 48 hours ago, I was talking to the Lord about direction and whatnot. I remember my mother, Memaw, the last couple years of her life, lamenting the fact of how middling her life was. On countless occasions she would ask me why God was keeping her around, because she had no purpose or reason to be here. Of course, I had no answer except to say that God would take her when He was ready. And so He did. Anyway, I was feeling kind of "middling" (word of day lol) lately and brought it before the Lord. 

He quickened the above verse in my heart this week when I read it and spoke this to my spirit. "Set a course." That being said, you can imagine my surprise at the text and phone call today. But, as I was musing over the various options available for making this job become a reality, the quote above came to mind. "All that glisters is not gold."

Sometimes we will pray seeking God's will and blessing for our lives and maybe the enemy hears us? All of a sudden some opportunity will pop up and it looks and even seems right; or at least a possibility. But, and here is my point, you,me, we have to hold that opportunity or "door" up to the light of what God's Word says.

I remember from long ago a book, "Fifteen Steps Out," that gave some instruction on discerning God's Will for your life. Basically, if I remember correctly, our decisions had to line up in three areas: God's Word, The witness of the Spirit, and our own circumstances. If any, or all of these were out of line with the choice before us, then to go forward could be dangerous. The Bible is chock full of advice concerning decisions we face in this life.

James 3:17 (ESV) 17  But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

If we will line up our choices with this verse, we will be far,far ahead of the game.If what you are about to embark upon agrees with this verse, then you can be confident that God has no problem with it. Are there any hidden agendas in your choice? Do you feel "right" about it? Is it easy to accept within you? Will it stand up to the scrutiny and light of others? Is it easy to talk over? You getting my drift here?

Sometimes the enemy will attempt to take advantage of our vulnerability and offer a half truth on our plate, trying to get us to do something that isn't God's plan for our lives. Believe me, I know this to be true from personal experience. Walk softly and prudently. Line up your wants and desires with what God has to say and you will avoid many a pitfall. Amen?

Psalm 27:11 (ESV) 11  Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies.

God Bless






 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment