Friday, March 21, 2014

Bodies In Motion                                                                                              03-21-14

   Well, all eyes in Knoxville are  on the television screen this P.M. as our beloved Vols take to the court in the current version of March Madness. Even my ninety something mother has the game on in her bedroom and I can hear the play by play from here. I was reminded of the above title this week while I was thinking about the demise of my exercise regimen. I had been faithfully going to the gym 5-6 days a week for a few months;but, about a month ago external forces pulled me out of my routine and now I am just sitting around every night watching T.V. or whatever. How the mighty have fallen! A couple of nights ago I could physically feel the effects of my lethargy. Bloated, no energy. That's when I heard the above phrase on a commercial. During my travels this week, I discovered that the bodies in motion thing was actually a law of physics. They call it Newton's Law Of Motion. You remember don't you? All those intensely interesting Physics classes in high school? Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion, while bodies at rest tend to stay at rest.  Ahhh...what fond memories!Didn't you just love Physics? lol. It just occurred to me that you may have been one of those who actually DID love Physics. My deepest apologies for my unwarranted sarcasm. (smile)
You know something.....? There is some spiritual truth to be gleaned from those laws of motion. Look at this.

 2 Timothy 1:6 (NASB) 6  For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
I like the KJV a little better here.

2 Timothy 1:6 (KJV) 6  Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

You know we all have been gifted by God in different areas. Go read Romans 12 and see what your gifting is. We have been given these special qualities to carry out those tasks that God sets before us. At any rate, we, for any number of reasons, get pulled "off task." We get out of our routine just like my exercise program. We can become lethargic. You remember the old saying "use it or lose it?" That has a lot of truth in it doesn't it? If we don't "exercise" those gifts we have been given they will atrophy from non-use. When I read the above verse I sometimes wonder about Timothy. Look at that verse. Paul is exhorting his pupil to kindle afresh the gift; to be put in remembrance. I wonder if Timothy had hit a wall in his spiritual walk. If he had lost some of his zeal for some reason. Maybe job pressures or poor health possibly. I don't know but I wonder. At any rate, in those laws of motion there is a reason that a body in motion comes to rest. It is something called friction which produces resistance. It is an external force which works against the body's forward motion. That's much like what happens to us isn't it? Rest assured that you and I are not going to be allowed to just march through this life doing God's work worry free and without resistance. No, it is going to come from all quarters and if allowed to build up, it will stop us in our tracks. The enemy, circumstances, in-laws, outlaws. Whatever! And sometimes we have to stir ourselves back in the game. That word stir means "to arouse." It's not about us being in rebellion or backsliding, no no. It's akin to getting your blood flowing again. You have to smack yourself upside the head, rise up and ask God for His grace to keep on keeping on. Amen? The Apostle Peter had a similar admonition to his disciples.

2 Peter 1:12-13 (NASB) 12  Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you.
13  I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder,


He was exhorting his readers to stir themselves by remembrance of the things that they had been taught up there in the previous verses and begin to operate in them once more. Whether by fatigue or resistance we are all subject to being knocked off course. If you are feeling a little bloated just shake yourself and roll back in the game. Or to put it in today's Falcon vernacular..RISE UP!!

Psalm 105:5 (NASB) 5  Remember His wonders which He has done, His marvels and the judgments uttered by His mouth,


REMEMBER HIS WONDERS.


God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment