Friday, March 7, 2014

All Who Take Up The Sword....                                  03-07-14

Take a close look at what is happening in the Ukraine these days. This is a precursor(whether immediate or distant I can't say) to the 38th and 39th chapters of Ezekiel. At some future date Russia is going to invade Israel for the purposes of booty, political or material, it matters not. It is there, on the mountains of Israel, where Russia as a world force will fill their cup of iniquity and meet their demise. Go read it. It appears that today's world response is also much like what will happen in the future. A lot of talk with no real action. This response today however remains to be played out. There is still some faint hope that the world will stand up to Russia. It remains to be seen. That being said.

Matthew 26:52 (NASB) 52  Then Jesus *said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

That's pretty forthright. If we continue to wield a sword whether literally by violence or spiritually we are going to perish by the same. I am reminded of a prominent local pastor who many years ago was given what he described as a "sword of judgment" to execute against another prominent pastor by exposing some wrongdoing that the latter was involved in. I remember that man saying from the pulpit that he refused to wield it and threw it down. That's what the enemy will many times lay in our path isn't it? A sword of judgment. Oh, we don't have to go on television and expose wrongdoing; no, no, we, if we are not careful, can brandish that sword by nourishing a critical and faultfinding spirit within ourselves can't we? Once we begin to feed that beast, it won't be long before we"take it public" by exposing it before our friends and family. You know.. that word that none of us ever engage in..what's it called? Oh yeah I remember...gossip. Of course you understand that I NEVER engage in that kind of thing. (as immediately my nose grows considerably longer! smile) Jesus knew all about that tendency in us and spoke to it.

Matthew 7:3-4 (NASB) 3  "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4  "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?

Allow me a platform here for a sec please. There are many verses in the Bible about personal righteousness and holiness. Many speak to the disciplining and even the crucifixion of the flesh and it's fleshly desires. BUT, some things remain unspoken here. First we can't accomplish one whit of that righteousness without the power of the Holy Spirit residing and working within us. Any righteousness outside of the Spirit's enablement is not righteousness, it's self righteousness. So, why do we insist on holding others to a standard that we ourselves are unable to attain to? Secondly, most, if not all the scriptures referred to above deal with our personal walk and our personal relationship with God. It's a little different when we are dealing with our brothers and sisters.

2 Corinthians 5:19 (NASB) 19  namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.


Paul wrote this to believers in the Corinthian church. What he says here is this, the sin problem has been dealt with. All we need do is be reconciled through and by Jesus. Now here it is.
".....He has committed to US"(caps mine) not only Paul but US, that's you and me,"the word of reconciliation" Not the word of judgment, nor even the word of righteousness,but the word of reconciliation. Look at this.  

 Galatians 6:1 (NASB) 1  Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.
Key point here. "......restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself..."

Let me get real with you for a minute. If I fall in a pit because of sin I don't need ANYONE to tell me that I have sinned and have fallen. I ALREADY KNOW THAT!! I don't need to be convinced that I have sinned, I fully agree. I don't need scripture. I don't need someone who is just as inclined to sin as I am telling me about righteousness and holiness. No, No. What I need is someone GENTLY to throw me a lifeline. I need someone in love to help me and minister the word of reconciliation. How? By pointing my spiritual compass back squarely in the direction of my Lord and Savior JESUS CHRIST. Please don't kill me with the sword of judgment and self righteousness. Take me by the hand and lead me back to the Cross of Calvary. When I am overwhelmed with circumstances or sin LEAD ME GENTLY. Where? Here.

 Psalm 61:2 (NASB) 2  From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.


To the Rock that is higher than I. It's by HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS ALONE THAT I AM MADE RIGHTEOUS. Not by MY conduct, not by MY behavior, not by MY repentance but by HIS righteousness alone.

Psalm 56:1 (NASB) 1
 Be gracious to me, O God, for man has trampled upon me; Fighting all day long he oppresses me.




God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment