Friday, September 27, 2013

This Present World                                                                                          9-27-13

2 Timothy 4:9-10 (NASB) 9  Make every effort to come to me soon;
10  for Demas, having loved this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica; Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia.


I was looking through an old Bible the other day and I found a note that I had written in the margins. It was dated round 1985 and said " What was in Thessalonica that made Demas desert Paul?" Now, I don't remember whether that was a sermon that I had heard or a Bible teaching or just a note that I made for some reason. But, I started thinking about it a couple of days ago. Think about that for a minute. Here is this man Demas. This is not the only mention of him in the New Testament. He is mentioned in Colossians 4 and also in Philemon.

Colossians 4:14 (NASB) 14  Luke, the beloved physician, sends you his greetings, and also Demas.
Philemon 1:23-24 (NASB) 23  Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you,
24  as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow workers.

It seems that Demas was a friend, associate and fellow worker with some real heavyweights. Mark, Luke and the Apostle Paul were counted among his close friends. He appears to have been in the inner circle if there were such a thing at that time. I checked a couple of references but mostly all I  found out was what was mentioned in the Scripture. It appears that this close relationship had developed over a span of time. From all appearances, Demas was"one of the boys." At the very worst he was an acquaintance of men who were eyewitnesses of Jesus himself and who wrote much of the New Testament. That is pretty heady company don't you agree? So, what happened? Demas' defection is sobering isn't it? If someone who walked and talked with men who wrote the Bible can be enticed into desertion, what makes Ronnie Jenkins think that he is immune from such temptation? You gettin' my drift? I don't know what happened to Demas but look at what Paul said. "...having loved this present world..."  I read in 1st John this week this verse:

1 John 2:16 (NASB) 16  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.
That pretty much covers it doesn't it? John said this was "all" that was in the world. But, hold on a minute. It isn't about what is in the world. No,no. God doesn't mind if you have a decent house to live in. It doesn't bother Him if you have a nice car or some spending money in your pocket.No, it isn't soul annihilation we're talking about here. He gives us of those good things to enjoy in this life. The key words here are "lust and boastful pride."

Greek NASB Number: 1939

Greek Word: ἐπιθυμία

Transliterated Word: epithumia
Root: from 1937;

Definition: desire, passionate longing, lust:--

Vines gives a more in depth definition. Lust is a desire or passionate longing that divides. It is the desire to have or acquire something even to the point of dividing between people and God. Isn't that what happened to Demas? Something in Thessalonica, who knows what it could have been, but something enamored Demas to the point that he was willing to part company with the Apostle Paul. Demas gave up who knows what...he could have been Paul's Timothy, we don't really know. The point being something divided Demas from Paul and even God.

 That phrase boastful pride of life also translates pride of wealth. The good life if you will. We, in America, compared to most of the world, all live the good life. That being said, if we aren't careful the good life can burden us down with the cares of MAINTAINING the good life. Amen? Jesus warned against falling into that snare.

Matthew 13:22 (NASB) 22  "And the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

satan will put snares and pitfalls all along our path and we must be very careful how we tread. Trust me I know, I speak from experience. The curves come from any and all directions. Jobs, relationships, money, convenience etc., etc., and here's the kicker..it looks and feels right. If it wasn't pleasing to our flesh, we wouldn't lust after it would we? But, if we can somehow take a step back, deep breath and say within ourselves what does God think about it, we will be way ahead of the game. Listen, we don't miss anything by seeking God's counsel and waiting on His direction. Yes, I know sometimes that is MUCH easier said than done but, if we will do that we will avoid a lot of pitfalls.

  Proverbs 4:23 (NASB) 23  Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.


I didn't look it up but I think that word diligence means "a painstaking effort." How does one do that Ronnie? I only know of one way. Stay before God. No great revelation there but that's my only answer. You have an issue? Is there a big decision you have to make? Is something pulling and enticing you to make a life altering move? Get alone with God. Open His Word. Read what it says.Take it to the Lord in prayer. Repeat. Stand firm until He answers and gives you direction. LORD HAVE MERCY! If yours truly had followed that advice all the time I could have avoided many heartaches! I suppose we all have the same story more or less. The good thing is that God Almighty doesn't and isn't holding our mistakes against us. You made a mistake? JOIN THE CLUB of which I and many others are CHARTER MEMBERS!LOL

This present world can be intoxicating both spiritually and literally. Tread carefully.The Lord Jesus Christ is there waiting to pick up the pieces of your life and restore you no matter what. He's the medicine for what ails your body and soul.

Psalm 130:1-8 (NASB) 1
 Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD.
2  Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications.
3  If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
4  But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.
5  I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.
6  My soul waits for the Lord More than the watchmen for the morning; Indeed, more than the watchmen for the morning.
7  O Israel, hope in the LORD; For with the LORD there is lovingkindness, And with Him is abundant redemption.
8  And He will redeem Israel From all his iniquities.



God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment