Friday, May 31, 2013

Gentle Answer

1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.
Prov 15:1 (NASB)

Have you heard of that syndrome that we humans suffer from  time to time? It's called foot and mouth
disease. You know....open mouth and insert foot. Yeah..O.K. now you remember don't you? Well, I had a bout with that malady this week. Oh no.. not my first... just the latest in a long line of similar 'bouts.' I was in a circumstance and I lost my temper and showed my backside. That's about as delicate as I can say it. Not only that, I went to work and performed an instant replay. Ever have one of those moments, days, weeks....? (smile) You know how it goes... the immediate tension, then the calming down and the feelings of regret. Some time passes, you apologize and hopefully all is forgiven.

 The only problem with the above is that while all may be forgiven, it is seldom, if ever, FORGOTTEN.

I have discovered that I have an amazingly selective memory. I rarely can recall my harsh words, false accusations etc., etc., BUT, I can remember that indiscretion that you hurled my way some...20 years ago!! Amen or Oh Me?!

I understand that we can't get along all the time. Yes, there are even some people that we are at odds with MOST of the time..know what I mean? Even the Apostle Paul recognized this.

18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:17-18 (NASB)

"If possible..." Unfortunately while we are here on terra firma there are going to disagreements, arguments, bickerings. You know I have found that most arguments stem from wanting to force our will on someone else. I'm right, your wrong and that's that. It's my way or the highway. That's called pride.
 10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.
Prov 13:10 (KJV)

If we can learn to check our mouth at the door we will be way ahead in the game. How's that old saying go? Something like this " It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt." The Bible seconds that thought(or is it the other way around lol)

27 He who restrains his words has knowledge, And he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. 28 Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.

Prov 17:26-28 (NASB)

Be Cool Bro, Be Cool.

Thank God He treats us with more civility than we sometimes treat others. Keep a guard on MY mouth Lord. Amen.

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.

Psalms 19:14 (NASB)



God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment