Friday, May 10, 2013


For This Reason

14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,
Eph 3:14 (NASB)


Well, it appears that I am on my way to Iowa again. I was notified last night about 3:30 A.M. ( that's this morning isn't it!) well anyway at some GOD AWFUL hour they told me to pack my bags amd be ready to fly out today. However, it is only for one day so I'll be back in time for Mother's Day. If I am not back in time, I probably need to just keep on going as Memaw(my mother) will have my head!!(smile) Thinking about Memaw gave rise to my message today. A couple of days ago I heard a man remark on television about not forgetting God in the small details of our lives. His premise was that we get discouraged and depressed because we focus on the "headlines" of our lives and many times those headlines are negative. Upon hearing that, I was reminded of a recent incident in my own life that fit that bill. I realized that because of one negative that had occurred I had lost sight of the many blessings that God had showered on me during that same time. But, in this case I was focusing on the headline which happened to be negative. Make any sense to you? Well, this man went on to say that we should keep a journal or a record of the "little things" that God does for us and write them down. Then, when we go through those times and it seems that God has forgotten our address(ever feel like that?) or when we feel overwhelmed with no help in sight(ever feel like that?) then we should go to our notes and remind ourselves of all the times God has been there for us.
Like David we should encourage ourselves in the Lord. His contention was that in the midst of the battle we can ALWAYS find something to bow our heads and be thankful for, all the while being encouraged as we remind ourselves of God's concern for us.

 Well I have a "little thing" to report to you today. I was with my mother yesterday at the nursing home. She has been there for about two weeks in the transitional care wing after being discharged from the hospital with pnuemonia. It seems that she will be there another two weeks before she will be strong enough to go home. Well, as she was laying in her bed she all of a sudden began to cry. She tried to stop but she couldn't and began to cry uncontrollably. I asked her what was the matter and she said she was thinking about a friend who had been very good to her in the past. His name was James.This friend had passed on and memaw was sad that she couldn't see him anymore.

Well, I was sitting there not knowing what to say as she really began to get upset. Then it happened. I had my tablet with me and all of a sudden a name popped in my head. Englebert Humperdink. What? Who did you say Ronnie? Engle.. Humper..WHO?? You heard me right. ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINK !!?? Now listen folks...that HAD to be God! HAHAHA! (LAUGHING OUT LOUD) It seems that Englebert Humperdink was an old crooner during the time of Tom Jones. Remember Tom? Anyway, my mother went to see Englebert in concert some 40+ years ago and just loved him. Now, I knew that she liked him but really folks I haven't thought about Englebert Humperdink in... FOREVER! So, for some crazy reason it occurred to me to find an Englebert video on YouTube. Lo and behold I found one and and brought it up. I looked over at memaw and told her to look at this and put the tablet in her hand. As soon as she saw ol' Englebert her face perked up and when he started singing she just went through the roof. She held that tablet close to her and shut her eyes. She was in heaven.(smile). It changed her day and all of a sudden she was happy again. She was mumbling something about "they don't make 'em like that anymore" (smile)

 My point? Just this. God took a 2 minute video of a now obscure performer and turned a heartache into a happy moment in the life of an old lady. In the process that lady's son got a great blessing. It did my heart good to see my mother perk up from a long ago memory. It was a "small" thing that God did yesterday. But, it brightened the lives of two of His children.and reminded one of them that He is always there. Whether we sense Him or not. Whether it feels like He has moved a million miles away with no forwarding address.. or not. HE IS THERE. Watching over His own. Look again.


14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,
Eph 3:14 (NASB)


For this reason I bow my knees. You are always there Lord Jesus. You can bless me in ways I have never imagined. Lord, help me to realize that no matter the circumstances, You are ALWAYS there. You've got my back. Let that be my prayer today.

For THAT reason.

The LORD, the Psalmist's Shepherd.
A Psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalms 23:1-6 (NASB)


P.S. They just called and told me that I do NOT have to go to Iowa. My head is safe for another year! THAT is a GOOD REASON! (SMILE)


God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment