Friday, October 5, 2012

The Greatest Show On Earth



We live in one great big spin zone. Amen? I mean really..come on now...you know it's true don't you?

As I followed the events of the week what came to mind was Barnum and Bailey and The Ringling Brothers Circus. I haven't been to a circus since I was a kid but that's what I was reminded of. Listen, it's not the greatest show on earth, the greatest show IS earth. I mean C'MON MAN. We are under the big top and the three ring circus is in full swing.We have the trapeze acts here, we have the lion tamers there and right smack dab in the middle are the clowns doing there thing. One gigantic spin zone. I'm telling you, I don't know who to believe! Can you feel me? Everybody's right and nobody's wrong. I think that's an old song lyric. However, God's Word speaks to our present day.



7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.

Prov 3:7 (NASB)

I got caught up in the spin around the debate this week listening to a number of different perspectives on why this happened and why that happened. I watched two or three different networks wanting to hear both sides of the story.Also, catching my eye was the escalating violence in the middle east as the Syrian civil war threatens to become a real war with their neighbor Turkey. Manipulation, accusations of biased reporting on both sides by the different media outlets and both sides calling the others outright liars!! WHERE DOES IT ALL END??

I mean even my doctor is in the great conspiracy. Yep. He told me that I would lose weight if I started eating in a certain way and it hasn't happened yet!!(smile) So what's up doc? as my pal Bugs used to say.Anyway as the great old soul group theTemptations sang, we are living on a "Ball Of Confusion" Can I get an Amen?



In the midst of all this, this morning as I was checking out the headlines on my phone, I heard some sounds coming from my mother's bedroom so I walked in to investigate. She lay there on her bed very quietly crying. I asked her what was the matter and she said that she was sad today. When I asked her why she said she was worried. Iasked her about what and guess what? It wasn't the fact that our country is on the precipice. Neither was Syria, Turkey or a nuclear Iran of great concern to her. No, she was worried that her children and grandchildren were having a hard time and weren't very happy;and, she didn't know what to do about it.



This verse came very quietly into my heart:



8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.

James 4:7-8 (NASB)



Now there is more to that verse but it was those few words that came into my heart. Those few words struck a chord in me.Let me try and explain

myself. I don't know about you and maybe this is just me but I gotta confess something to you. I can't make sense of much that goes on in our world today. I mean it just doesn't make ANY sense to me. I can't trust what I hear on T.V. as it may be biased and slanted to one point of view. Ditto for the information being printed in the news media.If you can, shoot me an email and get me up to speed. lol As I listened to my mother lament and those words just gently floated in my mind it was the only thing that made any sense.Maybe that's very simplistic but' it's the truth for me right now. Maybe you, like me, are having a hard time figuring all this out. Maybe a family situation has you in turmoil. Or maybe you are struggling with something in your personal life.I can assure you that I don't have the answer and neither do the Republicans or the Democrats. But, GOD does. That verse talks about pulling up close. Pull yourself up close to God and He will pull up close to you. It's the only thing that makes any sense don't you think?



5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

Prov 3:5-6 (NASB)



God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment