Friday, October 19, 2012

It Ain't Over Till It's Over !



Do you remember or know who said the above? Watch out! You could be dating yourself by correctly answering! lol. For all you 'pups' and non baseball fans out there I'll tell you. It was a great baseball player named Yogi Berra. Berra was a Hall of Fame catcher with the New York Yankees and went on to manage their cross town rivals the New York Mets after his playing days were over. If I am not mistaken(and I could be) Berra said that in response to a sportswriter's question after a Mets loss, about their (the Mets) fading hopes in the 1973 pennant chase. At any rate that quotation floated across my mind last night while I was wondering about what to write on this week. That and the story of a guy named Caleb. You remember don't you? He was Joshua's pal when Israel was getting ready to conquer the Promised Land. Anyhoo, let me turn the clock back a couple of days and get you up to speed.



This week happens to be my birthday week. Now that's no earthshaker but this particular birthday carries with it an added milestone. I will officially become eligible for Social Security this year. Can you say Senior Citizen? Sounds better than "old".(smile) I mean c'mon. Social Security?? It conjures up pictures I had in my youth of old folks sitting in their rockers waiting on the mailman to bring them their checks so they could catch the early bird special at the local eatery. Amen? Well, guess what? Now I IS one of those old folks!! HAHA!



This week was another reminder that I am on the downhill slope of this thing called life. I certainly don't bemoan that as we all face that reality eventually. But, my question to God this week was whether there was any adventure left in life. No, Mt. Everest is out and so is the Indy 500 or even running a marathon(although walking one isn't out of the question) What was left out there? Ya feel me? I mused on that a little this week before God reminded me of Caleb and his request..



6 Then the sons of Judah drew near to Joshua in Gilgal, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said to him, "You know the word which the Lord spoke to Moses the man of God concerning you and me in Kadesh-barnea. 7 I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the Lord sent me from Kadesh-barnea to spy out the land, and I brought word back to him as it was in my heart. 8 Nevertheless my brethren who went up with me made the heart of the people melt with fear; but I followed the Lord my God fully. 9 So Moses swore on that day, saying, 'Surely the land on which your foot has trodden will be an inheritance to you and to your children forever, because you have followed the Lord my God fully.' 10 Now behold, the Lord has let me live, just as He spoke, these forty-five years, from the time that the Lord spoke this word to Moses, when Israel walked in the wilderness; and now behold, I am eighty-five years old today. 11 I am still as strong today as I was in the day Moses sent me; as my strength was then, so my strength is now, for war and for going out and coming in. 12 Now then, give me this hill country about which the Lord spoke on that day, for you heard on that day that Anakim were there, with great fortified cities; perhaps the Lord will be with me, and Iwill drive them out as the Lord has spoken." 13 So Joshua blessed him and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunneh for an inheritance. 14 Therefore, Hebron became the inheritance of Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite until this day, because he followed the Lord God of Israel fully

Josh 14:6-14 (NASB)



Now you remember don't you? Caleb was 85 years old when he asked to be allowed to DRIVE OUT the inhabitants of the fortified cities in the hill country of his inheritance. Not only that he served the Lord for 45 years before his dream became real. He spent what...forty years or so walking around in the wilderness then fought many battles when they entered the Promised Land. And at the ripe old age of 85 he went and CONQUERED his inheritance.



You ever feel like you're in a wilderness? Circumstances may have shackled and bound you to a routine that appears void of hope for any change. It sucks all the life out of your bones. Maybe your at a time in your life when you get all dressed up for the party, but, there isn't any party to go to. I don't care whether you are 22,62, or 92 we all need a little adventure, a little spice. It makes life worth living. If you are dealing with impossible circumstances or just don't have a real purpose TAKE HEART. God isn't through with you just yet. If he was, you wouldn't be here would you! Let that story about Caleb sink in. After 45,.. FORTY FIVE years of difficult and grueling service to the Lord, God sent him on the adventure of a lifetime!! All Caleb did was ask. IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER!!



20 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, 21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

Eph 3:20-21 (NASB)





God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment