Friday, October 12, 2012

Count The Cost

Count The Cost



Well, I am afraid that Fall has made it's arrival and I have mixed feelings. I enjoy Fall O.K.(though summer is my favorite) but I also know that with Fall's coming, old man Winter is right around the door and I DESPISE the cold weather. At any rate, I watched the HBO mini series"John Adams" this past week and I thought it was very good.It was a vivid account of the struggle for independence our forefathers endured through the eyes of Adams and his wife Abigail. At the very end of the movie a quote from one of Adams' personal letters to his wife was offered. Adams said "..now Posterity, you will never know how much it cost us to preserve your freedom.I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent from heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it." Early on Adams was a revolutionary firebrand but as the struggle went from days to years to decades his perspective changed. He never flinched from his duty but the toil of maintaining our freedom took a heavy toll. His close friend Thomas Jefferson and he parted ways over political views. He lost a daughter to illness, a son to alcoholism, alienated another son(although they were later reconciled) and his family and personal life were constantly battered with assaults on his motives and character. It COST him a great deal. As I listened to that quote, it reminded me of another quote that Jesus uttered way back when.



26 " If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. 27 Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 28 For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?

Luke 14:26-28 (NASB)



You know it was told me many,many years ago that salvation was free BUT, discipleship is costly. That seems to me a true statement.As we attempt to follow more closely to the Lord, many times a cost is involved. Can I get an Amen? I'm preachin' to the choir here.(smile) Much of contemporary Christian thinking today focuses on visions of glory. One hears all the time about how life is supposed to be in the Kingdom. We are sons and daughters of the King. We muse out loud about all the power that Jesus and the Apostles had. How we as King's Kids should march from victory to victory and establish His Kingdom here on earth. What we don't hear too much about is the price that was exacted. Jesus was nailed to a cross and every disciple save John died a martyr's death. ALL OF THEM! THE ORIGINAL KING'S KIDS!! Jesus himself was stripped of his royal garments on the cross and long before Calvary REFUSED an offer of the Kingdom. It COST each and every one of them.



15 So Jesus, perceiving that they were intending to come and take Him by force to make Him king, withdrew again to the mountain by Himself alone.

John 6:15 (NASB)



He would later again offer His kingdom to the Jewish leadership in Jerusalem. When they rejected that offer he withdrew the kingdom and it became a kingdom that was "not of this world."


The Apostle Paul in 2nd Corinthians speaks of what his discipleship cost him.

23 Are they servants of Christ?—I speak as if insane—I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. 24 Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. 26 I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; 27 I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.

2 Cor 11:23-27 (NASB)



I have said all the above to make one simple point. Maybe your life at present isn't one of victory upon victory. Maybe that "Kingdom" hasn't found it's way to your doorstep quite yet. Quite possibly you are under attack and struggling to weather the storm. The enemy might even be attacking you through your children or a loved one who doesn't quite understand your devotion to the Lord Jesus. What? Your finances have fallen off the cliff? Imagine that!!??(smile) Brother and sister I feel you! May I just offer you this simple word of encouragement. God sees it and He WILL see you through it ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER SIDE.




3 But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head. 4 I was crying to the Lord with my voice, And He answered me from His holy mountain. Selah. 5 I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustains me. 6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me round about.

Psalms 3:3-6 (NASB)





18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

2 Tim 4:17-18 (NASB)





God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment