The Two Judgments
I was asked the other day about whether I thought a racist could get into heaven.The person who asked is a friend from work and my answer took him aback.
I said absolutely yes. I then explained my position that belief in the Lord Jesus Christ for eternal life was all that was required to enter into the Kingdom of God.To have eternal life.(John 3:16,5:24,6:47,Ephesians 2:8-9)
He was not persuaded and we kind of drifted away for a while.His problem was my stance on sin and lifestyle.
I do not believe that the Bible teaches(in context of course) that sin as we usually think of sin, will exclude anyone from being born again, or acquiring eternal life or entering the Kingdom of God.
SIN,as most of us define it, does not and will not exclude us from heaven.Although we are not going to be there(heaven) very long.(smile another post)
I felt that a look at the judgments of God that await humanity might provide a clearer picture on God's salvation.
In addition, I would hope that it would answer the recurring accusation that all I am doing is providing people with a "license to sin."Which,by the way, my friend from work stated that same accusation in our conversation.Let's take a look.
Three biblical judgments await humanity.
All three occur at the end of the Tribulation.One is for a specific people group(the Sheep and Goat Judgment in Matthew 25:31-46) which concerns survivors of the great tribulation and how they treated the Jewish people during the persecution of the tribulation.
Might want to think about where America is headed as it concerns antisemitism.
A second judgment, probably during the 75 day period between Jesus' second coming and the inauguration of the Millenial Kingdom.(Daniel 12 more on this later)
This judgment(2 Corinthians 3:10-15)is for believers only.It has been called The Judgment Seat of Christ.(Romans 14:10-12,2Coronthians 5:10) It is also known as The Bema Seat judgment.This is the focus of this particular post.
A third and last judgment occurs after the thousand year reign.(Revelation 20:11-15) This is commonly known as The Great White Throne Judgment or The Second Death.It will concern only unbelievers.
That said, let's look at the subject of our post today.
10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. 11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— 13 each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.
14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2025), 1 Co 3:10–15.
The first item of interest that we will notice in this judgment passage, is the absence of the word "sin." No mention of sin anywhere.
Oddly enough this word(sin)is absent from the other two judgments as well.Doesn't that seem odd? All three judgment passages, sheep and goats, believers, unbelievers and not ONE mention of the word sin.Fascinating.
So then Ronnie,what are we being judged or evaluated for? Glad you asked.Look at verses 13,14,15.Do you see the word
"work" anywhere.
This is a judgment of the believer's works.NOT of his or her SINS.And you thought that once you got to heaven your problems were over.(smile)
What is the purpose of this works judgment? Verse 14 gives us the answer."...if the work.....survives,he will receive a reward."Wow that is great Ronnie!!Yes it is! Unfortunately there is a verse 15."..IF......burned up, he will suffer loss.
I am going to break this study up into parts and I will close this one momentarily.Before I do,I want to pose you a question to ponder until next time.Why is sin nowhere to be found? Why is sin not being judged in these judgments?
This is extremely important.You must answer this question to have an understanding of these judgments; and a clear picture of the just what the Gospel of Salvation is.
All three have eternal ramifications!WHERE IS THE JUDGMENT FOR OUR(YOURS AND MY)SINS? If our eternal destiny is based on our sin, forgiven and unforgiven, why are they totally out of sight in all three passages? Here is a hint.
Look at this.
for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2025), Jn 16:7–11.
This is Jesus's famous Upper Room Discourse.In this part of the discourse Jesus is explaining the work of
the Holy Spirit when He is sent to earth.He convicts the unbelieving world-(humanity in rebellion and opposition to God through the rejection of Jesus) of three things.
For purposes of our study look at Jesus's definition of the sin that the Holy Spirit is convicting unbelievers of.
Vs.9 .."concerning sin because they do not believe in me...'
PONDER VERSE 9! Jesus said Scripture cannot contradict.There is no,NO internal contradiction of Scripture.Think about that.
What is the sin the world is being convicted of? Think about it.
So Ronnie when will this believers judgment take place?
What does it mean when it says "revealed by fire" "fire will test" "work is burned up...suffer loss"
What are the rewards? How long do they last? What will we lose?(suffer loss)
We will look at these in the nest post or posts.
All we must do is believe.
God Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment