Friday, December 15, 2017

Confusion

Confusion                                               12-15-17

1 Corinthians 14:33 (ESV) 33  For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints,

I think I like the KJV a little better here.

1 Corinthians 14:33 (KJV) 33  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Some thoughts today. As Led Zeppelin said, Dazed and Confused.


My friend,Charles Saia had another less affectionate name for it,Psycho babble.What? Huh?What's that your friend said Ronnie? Psycho babble.lol  Another word for confusion.

Confusion. To make unclear in mind or purpose.A condition in which things are not in their normal or proper places or relationships.

I was listening to two men at work this week past discussing their views on religion.The discussion ended very amiably with an agreement to disagree.During the discussion,although I was not involved, I asked a question that I wanted and needed an answer to. Huh? Glad you asked. "Why"I asked, "If God is not the author of confusion,then why is there so much confusion?" Unbeknownst to them,the question was directed more at me and my confusion than to them.(smile) 

Let me see if I can explain. Have you ever been unclear in mind about what a preacher,teacher,commentator,or blog writer has written or said? Have you ever been unclear in purpose as to what God was supposedly saying to you through someone else? Oh yeah I feel ya. Me too!!(smile)

As I listened this week, I could see myself making those same arguments that I was hearing.As a matter of fact I have done that very thing recently. I listened intently as each one quoted a Scripture to support his position. As my friend Pastor Doug says, "Been there,done that,got the t-shirt,and bought the video!

Do I believe in having a CONSISTENT Scriptural foundation for what I believe? You better believe it!I went for far too long in my Christian walk without that firm foundation.Do I believe that my way is the right way? ABSOLUTELY. Do I believe that you may have a different perspective and that your way is the right way?ABSOLUTELY. Hear me out on this.

For every Scripture someone gives me about conditional salvation, I can give them two about eternal security. The same goes for tithing. The same goes for the role of the New Testament church.On and on and on. Isn't it odd that The Apostle Paul wrote that verse on confusion after explaining what is probably the most argumentative and confusing issue in Christian circles today.The role of the Holy Spirit in the lives of the individual believer and the local church. An interesting insertion indeed.

I mentioned that I have been studying the Book of Job recently.Fascinating and profound book.As far as I have gotten,(first round of speeches) there is one recurring theme(among others) that has captured my attention. 

Job's friends,his "comforters" are all theologically correct in what they say.Their positions about the demise of Job all sound good.Based on correct theology.

Why then does Job refuse and even spurn their advice? If you read it,you will find out that not only does Job disagree,he disagrees violently with them,for reasons too numerous for this blog.Jobs turmoil, his absolute agony does not lie in his physical loss or suffering. He,so far has never once asked to be healed or restored. I don't think that he ever does. I will find out.Job's agony is in his confusion of why God has done this. And herein lieth the lesson.

Job's confusion and agony is rooted in the fact that all he is hearing is what his friends say ABOUT GOD. They talk ABOUT God. They tell him what they THINK is wrong.They tell him what they THINK is Job's solution.They tell him what they THINK God is saying. It sounds good. It is theologically correct. But,it is WRONG in Job's particular circumstances. Their religious reasoning,based on sound theology does not fit Job's case.Their counsel and application is wrong,their theology is right.They don't have all the facts of Job's demise.They talk ABOUT God,but they have not talked TO God;and apparently have not allowed God to talk to them.

Job,all the while is over here contemplating and voicing this one complaint,this one TRUTH over and over.ONLY GOD HAS HIS ANSWER. God is the ONLY one that can give counsel and comfort to Job's confusion.And that brothers and sisters,is our ONLY answer when we are confused and dismayed. Whether it be a Bible doctrine,personal loss and suffering,or any other circumstance that causes doubt and confusion,our first source of refuge is in God and God alone.

Confused? Doubtful? Hurting?Get a Bible. Go find your alone place with God.Talk to Him.Let Him speak to your heart.Let Him give you the counsel about your PERSONAL circumstances.

Don't worry. If our heart is in the right place.If our desire is to sincerely hear His voice.He will guide us into all truth. He will direct us to that person,church,book or WHATEVER that can minister to our pain and confusion.  

 God is never going to lead us astray.His counsel will always,on every occasion line up and concur with His word. There will never be conflict there.But, BUT, His ways are not our ways.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (ESV) 8  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
9  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.


God's ways at first glance may not fit the traditional mode. They may, at first glance,conflict with man's theology and even man's sense of justice and fairness. If we get out in left field trying to follow Him(I have), if we misinterpret His voice(I have) don't worry.... He is strong enough and more than capable of righting our ship. Our responsibility is to have a heart that is perfect and sincere towards Him. Amen?

Psalm 81:13-14 (ESV) 13  Oh, that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways!
14  I would soon subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes.



God Bless




   


No comments:

Post a Comment