Friday, September 8, 2017

No Dawn

No Dawn                                                           11-8-17

Proverbs 19:3 (ESV) 3  When a man’s folly brings his way to ruin, his heart rages against the LORD.


 I sat this week past, and listened to a friend of mine recount the drama in his life that was  due to the pain and tribulation of some loved ones close to him. Pain and tribulation that was largely self inflicted. I smiled as he did his best Fred Sanford impersonation of "the big one" I laughed as he staggered about clutching his chest and looking heavenward all the while saying that this was it,this was the big one.I sat in disbelief as this gentle soul became a little less gentle while regurgitating the events of his week. In between the smiling,laughing,and shaking my head in disbelief,I was reminded of the above verse. The reason being the fact that my friend has many times tried to introduce God into the solution while speaking to his hurting loved ones,only to be met with the usual response of rolling one's eyes,and being rebuffed for bringing God into it. I have used this verse in the past and once again it seems germane to this conversation today. And herein lieth the lesson. 

This is one of those verses that cuts directly to the chase doesn't it? No beating around the bush. It has been and still is personally applicable to my life and I would wager to your's also. We go out and do foolhardy(a nice word for stupid or worse, rebellious) things and when the consequences of such foolishness comes knocking,we get all hurt and mad with God! Wait a minute!! What did God do to deserve such blame?God didn't go buy that car or house that He couldn't afford. God didn't go out and have one too many and get behind the wheel. You fill in the blank with whatever folly fits. IT'S NOT GOD'S FAULT IS IT? And this is where we compound matters and get into trouble.

As I read the above verse,for some reason I checked the Scripture references on this verse in my Bible. I rarely do this,but on this day the Bible referred to Isaiah the 8th Chapter. I turned over there and read these words. 

Isaiah 8:20 (ESV) 20  To the teaching and to the testimony! If they will not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn.

Some context here is helpful. God is angry as He sometimes was with the children of Israel. He's trying to warn them off before He pronounces judgment on the nation. He explicitly is instructing the Prophet to not walk in the way of the people.  You see the people of that day were going about doing what we do today. How's that Ronnie? Well,they were heading headlong toward destruction while seeking the counsel and direction of everyone BUT God. You see that is what happens isn't it? We do something foolish. Or worse we get involved in sin and sin takes us a little farther than we want to go.Suddenly,we are in it's clutches with no way out. And many times we will go off seeking help in the wrong places,all the while blaming our only source of help. God Almighty. If we persist,things get darker and darker. Our lives have no dawn. There is no deliverance from the darkness that envelopes us. Ever been there? Well, I certainly have.

We are to blame for our misery,but our heart RAGES against the LORD. I remember my mentor Pastor Doug telling me that God was the LAST person that I wanted to get mad with. Not because He was going to destroy me. No. It was because He was the ONLY ONE that could HELP me! Ya feelin' me here?

I will leave you with an old cliche heard many times from the pulpit and oh so very,very true.

When you or I sin. When you or I do something supremely stupid. When we are laying face down on the pavement wondering where the truck came from.....when the piper must be paid, don't RUN AWAY from GOD no,no. RUN TO HIM!! Should not a people(that's you and me) inquire of God?

Don't roll your eyes and blame Him. Look up and ask Him for help.Amen?

Isaiah 1:18-20 (ESV) 18  “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.
19  If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land;
20  but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be eaten by the sword; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”



It's like the dog biting the hand that feeds him.

Psalm 51:1 (ESV) 1
 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.

God Bless








No comments:

Post a Comment