Friday, March 10, 2017

God's Mystery

God's Mystery                                                  03-10-17

Colossians 2:4 (ESV) 4  I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments.
Maybe someone needs to hear this today. I once heard it called "The Dividing Line."

What is that Ronnie? What dividing line? Hold on just a sec. A little background first. I was sitting at work this week minding my own business. We have what's called the extra board at work. It's where we get to sit around all day and get paid for it. I'm not kidding.I went in at 630 yesterday morning and sat around,talked,read and whatnot until 230 in the afternoon and got paid for it.It's a part of the process at work for now. At any rate,about 800 I was in the back room by myself reading a small New Testament that I keep for the days that I get for "shining." (A work term for the extra board) Anyway,by myself,minding my own business and a man I know walks in. We exchange pleasantries and out of the blue he asks me what is that "book" that I am reading.Without any fanfare I say "it's the Bible." He grabs a chair and without prompting offers to share with me his knowledge of the Scriptures. Not arrogantly,it was a sincere offer. I responded in he affirmative and for the next fifteen minutes or so he informed me of his theology.He focused in on the 49th chapter of Genesis and some other O.T. scripture. He also gave me a verse in Romans.

At any rate I listened and he made a decent argument supporting his views.As we went on in the conversation I noticed something that I thought was lacking in his presentation. I stopped him momentarily and said that I had a question to ask him. He politely responded "what." And herein lieth the lesson.

As this man went on with his views and theology it seemed to me that one important facet wasn't being mentioned. I asked him where Jesus fit into what he was telling me. I asked him who he thought Jesus Christ was and if He was his savior.Did he believe that Jesus had died on the cross for his sins.Well, he paused and then asked me if I knew what really happened on the cross. Not his exact words but you get my drift.  Something came over me and I simply told him that even though I disagreed with his doctrine,I would discuss it with him. But,I would not debate whether Jesus was the true savior.I would not make that a talking point.Maybe I should have.But it seemed to me a futile and fruitless endeavor that would probably end poorly.You feelin' me here? We agreed to disagree and spent most of the day hanging out in the extra board room.However at the very end of our discussion he commented that God would show me the truth some day.And that is what sparked this message.

As I read,this verse jumped out at me today.Look again.

Colossians 2:4 (ESV) 4  I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments. 
You see brothers and sisters there are plenty of plausible arguments out there. My friend at the job had a very plausible,persuasive argument yesterday. Had some historical data to back up his views and even referenced The Holy Bible.But...BUT... You see it was God's mystery that this man had issues with.It was the dividing line. Look. 

Colossians 2:1-3 (ESV) 1  For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face,
2  that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ,
3  in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.



Understand that Paul wanted us all to know about the knowledge of God's mystery,which is Christ in whom are hidden..........

Not only is it Christ the mystery but it is Christ IN us the HOPE of glory. 

Colossians 1:27 (ESV) 27  To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 
This is a powerful,heavy revy verse.God chose to make this mystery known.You see that mystery can't be taught,it can't be bought,IT MUST BE CAUGHT.It's supernatural.What is a mystery to the world,God has made known to those who name the name of Jesus as their only savior.

Brothers and sisters, there are a lot of "plausible arguments" out there that will attempt to confuse us. These arguments can be dressed up in fact or fancy. They can  surely make themselves very persuasive.This is why the Apostle Paul warned of them. In order that we would not be deluded by them.

Greek Strong's Number: 3884
Greek Word: παραλογίζομαι
Transliteration: paralogizomai
Phonetic Pronunciation:par-al-og-id'-zom-ahee
Root: from <G3844> and <G3049>
Cross Reference:
Part of Speech: v


Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.

Also,"to IMPOSE (CAPS MINE) a misleading belief on someone.To fool them.

Brothers and sisters, there are many gods in this world that men choose to worship.There are many deluded teachings out there,some very sincere,some not so much. But,we must be ever vigilant don't you think? There is only one standard by which we should judge what we hear,see,and read.If we are not directed and pointed to the one true and living God,the Lord Jesus Christ, if He is not our dividing line,then we must reject the argument, no matter how plausible,persuasive,or sincere it might appear.

Remember this simple chorus.

Jesus is the answer for the world today.
Above Him there's no other, Jesus is the way. 

Psalm 86:11 (ESV) 11  Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name.



God Bless
  



  

1 comment: