Friday, March 24, 2017

Applied Christianity

Applied Christianity                                                 03-24-17         

Hebrews 4:2 (ESV) 2  For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.

I read and heard this week,messages that centered on application. Application? Where is that in the Bible Ronnie? Well,it's not per se....let me see if I can explain what I am trying to say.

That word applied.I have a kid,who along with his wife, teach mathematics at a major university in the midwest. I don't know what they teach,maybe Algebra at the college level,that isn't important.But, as I thought about this message that term Applied Mathematics came into my head. Here's the dictionary definition for that discipline.

Applied Mathematics-Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical methods that find use in science,engineering,computer science,and industry. Thus,applied mathematics is a combination of mathematical science and specialized knowledge. O.K.............that help any? No,me neither.(smile) But,hold on let's look a little more closely at ".......mathematical methods that find use........" There it is.

You see there is a field of math known as pure mathematics,then there is APPLIED mathematics.Pure mathematics being mathematics for it's own sake.Without getting bogged down here let's jump to the Scripture. The contrast between pure and applied is never more evident than in this passage of Scripture is it? And herein lieth the lesson.

The writer of Hebrews is recounting the trek of the children of Israel in the wilderness.It is a textbook example of what NOT to do isn't it? You know the story.God promised Israel the promised land. A land flowing with milk and honey. In our modern day Christian vernacular,He was offering them the ABUNDANT LIFE. He had guaranteed their victory over the inhabitants of the land. He would go before them and drive their enemies out of the land.The battle was His and if they would follow His lead,they would enter into rest and blessing. Sounds like we have that same promise today doesn't it?

All they need do was believe and conquer.You feelin' me here.
God even went so far as to give them some"pure knowledge" of His intentions. He sent plague after plague on Egypt to show them His power. He led them out of Egypt with the spoils of the land to give them abundance. Led them with a cloud by day and protected them at night with a pillar of fire. He parted the Red Sea,let them pass through on dry land,then utterly destroyed their enemies who were in close pursuit. You gettin' the picture aren't you? God did this for free. He wanted I suppose, to show them what He was all about.To give them confidence. To establish in them FAITH. So after all that,(and much much more,go read about it))here they are getting ready to enter into His promise and their land. And what do they do? They want to spy out the land. That wasn't part of the agreement was it? I don't think it was. In spite of that,it was O.K. Even Moses thought it good.But here is where it all unravels. They snuck in the land and saw GIANTS. It struck fear in their hearts and they spent the next forty years wandering around for a three day journey. They had seen the power and providence of God Almighty in many,many miracles. They had the "pure" knowledge of His might. But,BUT they did not APPLY that knowledge to their own circumstances when the time came.

Fast forward to 2017 and here we are again,living between the Red Sea and Canaan Land. We have the knowledge don't we? We can turn on the radio or television 24 hours a day,seven days a week,365 days a year and hear the PURE Gospel being preached. We have churches on every street corner begging for folks to enter their doors and learn about God. On top of that,we can click on a computer that is chock full of ministries and ministers teaching and preaching God's pure Word.And yet this nation and the world in general is going to hell in a hand basket. Not only that,many of us, children of the Almighty God and brothers of the Lord Jesus Christ, are living in defeat and despair.I did not say living without difficulty and opposition no,no. I said living in defeat and despair with no hope whatsoever in this life. The reason we,you and I so often struggle? We fail to APPLY what we hear every day. We fail to APPLY what we read in God's Word and what we hear God speaking to us in our hearts. You struggle with applying Ronnie? Oh absolutely. If you struggle,trust me you are not alone!!(smile again)

Brothers and sisters, listen to this.

God says give and you will receive.We have to apply that knowledge.We have to give to appropriate the promise.

Luke 6:38 (ESV) 38  give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”



God says we can have perfect peace. PERFECT PEACE! IF..........................

Isaiah 26:3 (ESV) 3  You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.


If we keep our mind stayed on Him. As Amanda says "I'm being honest here" A lot of times my mind is on everything EXCEPT God. Problems here.Problems there.Problems everywhere.I have to APPLY His promise to my situation and STAY my mind on Him IF I want that PERFECT peace. Amen?

We can read about Him. We can hear about Him. But unless we by faith, APPLY His promises in our every day lives,we will live beneath what He desires for us. The knowledge of God and His promises,both spiritual and material,in His Word, will lay fruitless and unfulfilled until we FIND USE for them in our everyday living.

Amen and Amen. Let us,YOU AND ME, read this lengthy ending passage and APPLY it to our lives.

Psalm 18:29-36 (ESV) 29  For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall.
30  This God—his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.
31  For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?—
32  the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless.
33  He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.
34  He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
35  You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great.
36  You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip.


God Bless











  




1 comment: