Friday, October 28, 2016

Mission from God

Mission From God                                        10-28-16

John 9:4 (ESV) 4  We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work.

The phrase immortalized by Jake and Elwood,the Blues Brothers. Remember? "We're on a mission from God!" Have you ever felt like God has placed you on a mission? He won't let it rest. It's on the inside of you and it won't go away.The Apostle Paul felt much the same way about the "mission" that God had placed in his heart. Look at this.

1 Corinthians 9:16 (NASB) 16  For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.

The NASB is better here. You see Paul was what?......what did he say?....he was.........COMPELLED.....he was under COMPULSION to preach. The key here is not WHAT he was doing, but WHY he was doing it. You see, you and I, unlike Paul may not be compelled by God to stand behind a pulpit. We may not be compelled to enter into full time ministry and whatnot. But, rest assured,if you name the name of Jesus,then you will be COMPELLED by God to do something for His Glory.What you ask? I don't know. Get alone with God and find out. That is the only way. There is something or somethings that God has designed uniquely for you. It is your post. Your mission if you will. And why we may ask? Because we must work the works of Him while it is still day,night is coming when NO ONE can work. And herein lieth the lesson. 

Look at this again.

John 9:4 (NASB) 4  "We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work.

I have a friend,Mr. Shields as Chloe and Maddie Grace call him.Mr. Shields and I have been meeting  every Tuesday night to pray for about two years;and we have had some powerful answers to prayer over that time. Mr Shields however,is beginning to show signs of physical decline as he is 77 years old. It has been most noticeable these last few Tuesdays and now he just wants to sit and visit for a while when I come over. He told me this last Tuesday night that his days were in decline because he just could not physically do what he used to. He informed me of the various physical difficulties he was having along with some problems with his memory. It was simply a realization should Jesus tarry, that we ALL will face at sometime in the future. 

As Shields was talking to me, I was reminded of my mother in her last months and days telling me the same thing that Mr. Shields was saying. It dawned on me while talking  with my friend,that indeed that was where I was headed. Nighttime descends upon us all doesn't it? That's not a morbid or dark thing. It's just a fact of life;and that is precisely my point today. Jesus instructed us that the night was approaching. It was approaching for the Apostles in Jesus'day. It is approaching for our world and nation today.And most importantly,it is approaching for us as individuals. A time when no one can work.

It is coming Brothers and Sisters as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow.

 Has God given us a mission? If we,like the Apostle Paul,are under compulsion to begin or continue a work that God has placed in our hearts; then we must be about it don't you think? Time is short and the day is far spent.Let us take Jesus words to heart. Work while it is still day. I assure you, God will not let our efforts and obedience go unrewarded will He?

Hebrews 6:10 (NASB) 10  For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.

I'll leave you with the thoughts of a man of God.

Psalm 90:10-12 (NASB) 10  As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years, Or if due to strength, eighty years, Yet their pride is but labor and sorrow; For soon it is gone and we fly away.
11  Who understands the power of Your anger And Your fury, according to the fear that is due You?
12  So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.


God Bless





      

No comments:

Post a Comment