Friday, October 14, 2016

Freedom Fighter

Freedom Fighter                                                  10-14-16

Hebrews 12:1 (ESV) 1  Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Couple of thoughts today.Freedom fighter.....a term with STRONG negative and positive connotations depending on one's experience and perspective.My boss called me on the spur of the moment this week and asked me if I wanted to go to Memphis.We drove down to get a couple of trucks for our operation and drove them back the next day. One other guy went with us and he was familiar with Memphis,having grown up there. So while waiting for the trucks we went to get supper.On the ride to Gus's(great fried chicken and they just opened up a place in Knoxville,check it out) o.k. On the ride to dinner our friend asked us if we wanted to see The Lorraine Hotel. I could not figure out why and then it hit me. The Lorraine Hotel was where Martin Luther King was gunned down.

It took on extra interest for me as I lived through that and well remember it.As a matter of fact as a high school senior I had been in Memphis shortly before MLK's murder. Within a couple of weeks as I remember it. When we pulled up there was the obligatory protest on the opposing street corner. Some folks had set up a display decrying the waste of 27 million dollars spent on the museum that has been built adjoining the hotel itself.

At any rate we got out and walked around the parking lot,watching the various information kiosks,reliving the history and atmosphere that led up to the events of that day. We then walked up to the room and looked at the wreath placed on the second floor balcony.It was all very surreal......and very sobering. At this time,a staid thought entered my thinking.The man died fighting for freedom. He had laid aside all for this one purpose.And herein lieth the lesson.

While I stood gazing at the door to room 306 I was reminded of a conversation I had previously that week. My thoughts centered on a comment made during that conversation, it went like this"we are on the last leg of this journey."When this thought crossed my mind,as I scoped out the boarding house where the fateful shot was fired,I wondered if Dr. King knew that he was on the last leg of his journey. We'll never know. I personally think that he did but that is a question for God only.

As I mused today,unsure on what to write,the verse in Hebrews came to mind.You see this verse not only speaks to sin in our lives,but the various weights and baggage that saddle us. The concerns and worries that hinder our efforts at running and FINISHING the race that the Lord Jesus has set before us. 

You see brothers and sisters,this verse presents us with an uncomfortable dilemma doesn't it? Just this. We ALL are on the last leg of the journey or approaching the homestretch at breakneck speed.Our lives are like a vapor the Bible says.It is not a probability, not a possibility...no,no it is an absolute REALITY. Here it comes ready or not.

Whether we are world renowned personalities or paper truck drivers, we have a race that is set before us. Sometimes the cost of running that race is very expensive. But, the prize for finishing is precious above all. If we keep looking to the author and finisher of our faith,if we will allow him to remove all the unnecessary baggage out of our backpacks,(a lifelong exercise isn't it) then He promises us a crown at the finish line. Not only that,walking with a lighter load is much more enjoyable than dragging around a ball and chain don't you think?

Matthew 11:28 (ESV) 28  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Get alone with God. Let Him take a look inside that backpack you're toting around.Let the Holy Spirit lighten that load. It's going to make a huge difference when you and I round the third turn and enter he homestretch.The last leg.

Psalm 73:25 (ESV) 25  Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.

God Bless






     




      

No comments:

Post a Comment