Friday, July 22, 2016

In God We Trust

In God We Trust                                          07-22-16

Before I begin today let me give a big shout out to my sister Betty, whose birthday is TODAY! Sooooo everybody say it with me... HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY!!

No,this is not a message about removing the motto from our currency. Look at that last word in the title. Trust. Dangerous a little bit isn't it?

Jeremiah 17:7-8 (ESV) 7  “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
8  He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.”



My employer broke trust with me this week. Not just me, they broke trust with every employee in our office. The particulars are unimportant. It's not going to cause any ripples in the world. It will go unnoticed by any and all EXCEPT those of us affected. A relationship developed over the course of years was damaged possibly beyond repair in a skosh of time. I am  reminded of a couple of passages in the Psalms when the psalmist had been similarly treated.

Psalm 41:9 (ESV) 9  Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.



And again.

Psalm 55:12-14 (ESV) 12  For it is not an enemy who taunts me— then I could bear it; it is not an adversary who deals insolently with me— then I could hide from him.
13  But it is you, a man, my equal, my companion, my familiar friend.
14  We used to take sweet counsel together; within God’s house we walked in the throng.


"...... my close friend in whom I trusted......." "........my familiar friend.........sweet counsel together......."  

Whether it is an employer whose only interest is in the bottom line, or an intimate relationship who betrays our trust, it has an effect on us, you and me doesn't it?

My friend and teacher Pastor Doug had a great word this week past. It concerned how the enemy of our souls, satan, uses the same tactics over and over again in an effort to steal our joy and rob us of God's blessing. The same afflictions disguised differently.

My query today is not IF the attacks are going to continue. It is not even a question of HOW the attacks will be packaged, in plain view or wrapped in deceit. Neither is it an inquiry into WHEN they will come, for as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow, the assault from the enemy will come. No,no it is not a matter of any of that. My question today, to you and me is this: " What effect will we allow said attack, assault to have upon us?" You see that is what the title and lead verse is talking about. Look again.

 Jeremiah 17:7-8 (ESV) 7  “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
8  He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.”




TRUST. Defined as 

a primitive root; properly to hie for refuge [but not so precipatately as <H2620> (chacah)]; figurative to trust, be confident or sure :- be bold (confident, secure, sure), careless (one, woman), put confidence, (make to) hope, (put, make to) trust.


Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.

And herein lieth the lesson.Not my lesson but God's to me.

In that above Scripture God is making a contrast isn't He? If you look at he preceding verses He talks about those whose trust is in the flesh being cursed. It's all about the EFFECT we allow the enemy and his minions to have on our lives.

Circumstances like what happened at my work this week happen. It is a part of this world and it's ways. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

People hurt us. They break trust with us. They disrespect us. Unfortunately, if the truth is known, we also(yes, you and me) hurt other people. We break trust and have our share of disrespecting others don't we? It happens. IT IS WHAT IT IS. A PART OF THE HUMAN CONDITION.

The $64,000 question is this "How do we let these circumstances affect us?" Whose report are we going to believe? WHO do we trust?

In a moment of transparency let me share this with you. I have walked around with anger and resentment in my heart. I have let "circumstances beyond my control" shoot my blood pressure up and steal my joy AND my witness. How 'bout you? Ya feelin' me here?

Let me say this, those "circumstances" we make excuses for are rarely out of our control are they? Sometimes maybe, most times not. But verily our response and our reaction to those circumstances are within the boundaries of our control are they not?

You see God has the answer doesn't He? Sure He does. It's all a matter of trust. If we will spend some time with the Lord Jesus and begin to develop a trust with and in Him, then we can be confident, bold, secure, even CARELESS. That's not me,that's the Bible.

Brothers and sisters, sometimes, many times, I let the circumstances of life affect me negatively. I huff and puff and get mad. I gather around the water cooler and blow off steam with all of my offended compatriots. I dwell on said offenses until I get so mad I could cuss. And sometimes I do! lol. And for all my effort, here is how I am benefited. It raises my blood pressure to the point of tilt. It robs me of any joy and happiness that I may have.And oh yes lest I forget, it turns my stomach into a churning machine producing knots and indigestion.(smile) You gettin' my drift here?

I told the Lord a while back that I was tired of feeling that way. I was weary of allowing that stuff to get the better of me.. It's all a matter of trust. Have I gained the mastery?As Mr. Miyagi of Karate Kid fame said.. "not yet." But, I'm working on it. Maybe you are dealing with the same or similar issues. We will I think, be out in front of the NEXT curve thrown at us, if we can find some time with The Lord God and let Him develop that trust within us. Get alone with Him. Let Him encourage and build you up. Allow Him to take all the resentment, anger, and hurt feelings away. Get careless and confident in Him. Amen?

 Psalm 18:2 (ESV) 2  The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.



God Bless     




No comments:

Post a Comment