Friday, July 15, 2016

A Lesson From David

A Lesson From David                                          07-15-16

1 Samuel 17:48-49 (ESV) 48  When the Philistine arose and came and drew near to meet David, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Philistine.
49  And David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone and slung it and struck the Philistine on his forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the ground.


This passage of Scripture resonated in my soul today as I thought about the events of last night. To get a fuller perspective read the 16th and 17th Chapters of 1st Samuel. It is a relevant message for us as individuals, for our nation and for the world in general. Alas, I fear that our nation will fail to heed the insight this portion of God's Word would provide them;however, it is as relevant and timely as tomorrow's headlines for you and me

I was driving last night listening to the BBC World Broadcast as I do for about an hour every night that I work. Of course the broadcast was drenched with the coverage of the attack in Nice, France. It was an interview with an eyewitness however, that captured my attention.

The person in question would have been directly in the path of the attacker had he not stopped for a couple of minutes to complain to his friend about the volume of the music in the square, where the festivities were taking place. What struck me was the absolute fear and terror in this man's voice. As would I,or almost anyone else in his shoes have been, he was shaken to the point of not being able to talk. He struggled throughout the entire interview to describe what had taken place; losing his composure time and again. His quivering, panic stricken responses to the interviewers questions stuck in my head all night. I went to bed last night wishing to be G.I.Joe or better yet Rambo. You know, put on a headband, strap on an AK, and go deliver the wrath of God on the heads of all our enemies. Old Soldier Syndrome.

I woke up this morning, more sound of mind after some sleep(smile) and realized that my Rambo days were long gone, if I ever even had any. I realized my time for that sort of battle was indeed over. The Army has no need, nor does it want any 65 year old wannabes to become nothing but cannon fodder. My dreams of running around blowing everything up, engaging the enemy at impossible odds and winning.......dashed and vanished. 

And herein lieth the lesson.

God calls and elects all types of people, in every conceivable walk of life doesn't He? Folks, I believe with all my heart that there are devout Christians fighting the enemy on foreign soil because they have been called of God for that purpose. Maybe a little more difficult to believe,there are devout Christians fighting in the political arenas of our nation because that is where God has placed them. There are devout Christians protesting the injustices and evils of our nation and world, called of God to raise a voice. There are God fearing, Jesus loving folks unseen and unheard fighting the REAL warfare in their prayer closets. There are Christians of every ilk and tribe fighting battles in every conceivable forum, God having them called to do just that. Unfortunately for my ego, God has not called every one to be a Rambo.(big smile) But, BUT, He HAS called EVERYONE to a BATTLE somewhere and in some form hasn't He? It's not a matter of if, but where and how isn't it?

Look at that passage again and notice this about King David.

1 Samuel 17:48-49 (ESV) 48  When the Philistine arose and came and drew near to meet David, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Philistine.
49  And David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone and slung it and struck the Philistine on his forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the ground.


".........David ran quickly TOWARD(caps mine) the battle line....."

You see our nation, and if not you, then of a certainty me, prefer the path of LEAST resistance don't we? "That physical or metaphorical pathway that provides the least resistance to forward motion....."

I don't know about you, but I personally don't like confrontation. Some people do, but I ain't one of em.' You feelin' me here? That being said, there are enemies in this physical  world and there are enemies of our soul that aren't going away. A battle line has been drawn and we, as David, must run toward the battle. Not in our own strength, because the battle is the Lord's.  

1 Samuel 17:47 (ESV) 47  and that all this assembly may know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear. For the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give you into our hand.”



 Brothers and sisters this world is being terrorized. People, like that soul in France last night, who have experienced it first hand, are being shaken to the core. A spirit of fear and uncertainty envelopes the entire world does it not? You can almost feel it can't you? But there is a God in heaven, the one true God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, that gives us hope and encouragement. If we name the name of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, He has promised to strengthen and uphold us for the battle at hand; and, to see us through to the end. All we need do is hold on tight and keep our hearts and mind focused on Him.

 Psalm 16:8 (ESV) 8  I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.



God Bless 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment