Friday, December 18, 2015

The Next Generation

The Next Generation                                     12-18-15

Proverbs 22:6 (ESV) 6  Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.


It was like watching the newsreel at the movie theater. For those of you unfamiliar with the newsreel, ask mama,daddy, or better grandma and grandpa to explain just what it is. Anyway, story after story with pictures rolled across my screen this week. Three, however stood alone and sparked this message.

I watched this week as a "prophet" spoke before a crowd of hundreds, maybe thousands of all ages and declared that speaking or saying the words "Merry Christmas" was on a par, no was WORSE than fornication and murder. No commentary here just reporting what I saw.

A little later in the week, I read of a political science professor at a prominent evangelical Christian college donning a religious headdress and proclaim that we all worship the same God. Again, no commentary, just the facts. Well,..... maybe a small commentary here......not my commentary, but the opinion of another......

 John 14:6 (ESV) 6  Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 

Hmmmm......

At any rate, these various and sundry reports played on this newsreel were against a backdrop of a star pointing to a manger with a babe in it.A babe appointed to save you and I from our sin.Why all the rage against this innocent child????  Just for the record, this "babe" is no longer in the manger, nor is He on the cross..nope, He is the soon returning King coming to take His brothers and sisters home. I digress.

Pondering the assorted chaos this week, I had  pause. I remembered my third story of the week and the point of my message. I remembered a church somewhere in northeast Georgia. I've never been there and know of it only through my wife Shelley, and my angel ,Chloe.

It seems that this church took Chloe and her brothers C.J. and Tyler under their wing. For some time now, the church has provided transportation for the kids to and from church whenever they wanted to go. They have ministered to those kids in many different ways. Sunday School, Church, outings and whatnot. Week after week, month after month, picking them up, taking them home, this and that.They have been "training them up" if you get my drift.

Whenever I would talk to Chloe on the phone, I would ask her how she liked her church. She would say that she really liked it and all that; you know how kids are.But, here's the payoff. Not too long ago I was talking to Shelley and she told me of a phone conversation she had had. Chloe had a question .Chloe had asked this. She didn't know whether she had to "ask Jesus to come into her heart every night or not." It seems that she had forgotten to ask Him into her heart the previous night and was wondering about it. She then informed Shelley that she had asked Jesus to come into her heart at church the previous Sunday or Wednesday, don't know which; and wanted to make sure that He was still in her heart since she hadn't asked Him the night before.

Then she told Shelley that she wanted to be baptized. Bap-i-tized as Chloe puts it. 
When I heard that story for the first time, I was almost brought to tears, as Chloe is very dear to my heart. Once again for effect.

 Proverbs 22:6 (ESV) 6  Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Brothers and sisters, make no mistake about it, our nation is being invaded. Our country is under assault. WE ,as Christians are under assault. Our children and grandchildren are in the spiritual cross hairs of the enemy. Do not be deceived by the RHETORIC. It's akin to waves rolling in on the seashore. One after another, six or seven, then a BIG ONE comes, knocks you down and the pattern starts all over again. You feelin' me here? But. BUT.

Make no mistake, BE ASSURED, this invasion is doomed to failure. That babe in the manger was, is, and will be a conqueror. That much is certain.Our job is to prevent as many casualties as we can, however we can,don't you think? And herein lieth the lesson. Because of the unseen and unheralded efforts of some folk in a church somewhere in Georgia, a small child, a member of the next generation, was transformed from the kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ. SHE GOT SAVED!!

I have thought about this much over the last few years. In my opinion, MY OPINION, we owe it to the next generation to do all we can to stem the tide aimed at their destruction. Someone did it for us when we were coming up, and we owe it to the Chloe's of the world. That's my personal take on it. At any rate, this verse came to mind while writing this blog.

Hebrews 6:10 (ESV) 10  For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for his name in serving the saints, as you still do.

Maybe you are a parent of small or not so small children, working yourself to death trying to provide for those babies under your care. Maybe you are a grandparent or great grandparent praying continually after those children and grandchildren for their welfare.Maybe you are a church worker faithfully teaching that children's class or working in that nursery,OUT OF THE SIGHT  AND MIND OF ANY AND EVERYONE. Rest easy, you are not out of the sight of GOD ALMIGHTY. He has not and will not "overlook" you.

Let us all endeavor, in whatever capacity big or small, to "train up" that generation that follows us. Amen? AMEN!

And here's for whomever is reading.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Psalm 18:1-3 (ESV) 1
 I love you, O LORD, my strength.
2  The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
3  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.



God Bless





    








  

No comments:

Post a Comment