Friday, December 11, 2015

Hitting The Rewind Button                                12-11-15

Romans 8:13 (ESV) 13  For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

A little background is needed here in order to trace my steps to my hopefully logical conclusion. (Hopefully being the key word here!) smile.

I read an article this week in a magazine that I don't normally read or even like. But, the title about markers on the road to offense caught my eye. As I read on, a phrase used by the author really hit home. It hit me "where I live," if you know what I mean. The condensed version goes like this. Among all that leads us into offense, one of the markers or warning signs is hitting the rewind button. No, not on the radio or television, but in your mind. How's that Ronnie? Just this. Someone says or does something to hurt your feelings. Someone says or does something that insults you. Or maybe what is said or done isn't even the truth. You hearin' me here. Yeah, I feel ya.

Anyway, when these unpleasant circumstances happen, if you are like your's truly, you tend to hit the rewind button in your head and replay the incident over and over. IF, you are like ME, you rehearse it and rehearse it until you have every word, nuance, facial expression, tone of voice, body language or anything else that helps you build the case for injustice DOWN TO A TEE. (Amen or Oh me!lol)

Against all reason and good sense, you continue to hit the rewind button until you have built a wall of resentment in your heart. If not very careful this can lead you or me into a hardened heart and offense; then, according to the Scriptures, that offense can defile not only us but those around us. 

Hebrews 12:15 (ESV) 15  See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;

That being said, here is where I will share what I believe God spoke to my heart this week. About a fortnight past, I had once again fallen into this snare of the devil. Playing over and over again perceived injustices. Sure enough I had rehearsed enough to be able to store a goodly amount of resentment in my heart. So, when I saw this article I had to admit to God that I was indeed guilty as charged. At this point this thought entered my mind and heart.

"Ronnie, do you want victory over this?" As I considered that radical  (at least to me, smile)) alternative, the Holy Ghost expounded on that idea.

I spend a lot of time praying about "victory." Victory in my circumstances. Victory in my finances. Victory in the lives of my children, family and friends.You know what I am talking about don't you? Nothing wrong with that at all. God wants us to take our requests to Him above all. However, the Holy Spirit gently impressed me about  the time I spend in God's Word and before Him in prayer seeking "victory" over the sin in my life.Those things that are displeasing to Him and those things that grieve His Spirit. In other words, "where I live."

While trying to digest all this, He moved me a little further down the road. A victory by it's very meaning implies a battle or a contest with an opponent. In order to have a victor, you must also have one who is defeated. Now, in the natural world, depending upon their nature, these battles can be friendly,as witnessed by the Tennessee Vols defeat of the Georgia Bulldogs this year(couldn't resist) or they can be belligerent.

But, in the spiritual realm they are NEVER friendly. Our common enemy seeks to do nothing short of destroying us and all we hold dear. When you have the time, read the 6th through 8th chapters of Romans. It's hard reading. It describes us(our old selves) as being "crucified" with Christ. It spends time describing the battle we face in trying to do the right thing. Then it talks about the "how to" in achieving victory. It doesn't put a pretty face on it. It's a down and dirty, in the gutter, no holds barred fight. Look again.

Romans 8:13 (ESV) 13  For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Brothers and sisters, in order to have victory in this realm, we must yield ("by the Spirit") ourselves to God's power in our lives and "put to death those deeds of the body." 

"Ronnie, I can't do that. I don't have the strength." I know you don't. Neither do I. But, if we keep fighting. If we press on in spite of our failures. If we continue to yield to the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives; if we PRACTICE letting God have control, THEN those victories that prove so elusive will begin to come. Eventually, if we keep at it and keep at it, God will change those attitudes and practices that displease Him and do harm to us. It ain't pretty, it may hurt, and we may get scuffed up a little; but God says it will work if we will trust Him and fight those fights in His power. In the end it will yield the peaceable fruit of righteousness.Amen.

Psalm 119:71 (ESV) 71  It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.


God Bless
    


No comments:

Post a Comment