Friday, March 6, 2015

What's The Buzz?                                                         03-06-17

Matthew 4:12 (NASB) 12  Now when Jesus heard that John had been taken into custody, He withdrew into Galilee;
From a time long ago. Remember that song from Jesus Christ Superstar? Well, I've got a different type of buzz going on today. Literally, as I write these words I have a "buzz" going on in my ears. It evolves from a buzz like a sea shell into a high pitched ringing. A common malady known to many as Tinnitus. I would not even suffer it this space or your time except for the fact that God used it as an object lesson this week for yours truly.

It seems lately, at least for me, that the Lord is trying to get me alone. You know what I'm talking about? It's been that way for several weeks now. It is as if He wants me to withdraw as best I can and spend some time with Him and Him alone, away from the madding crowd. Ever feel like that? Get away from all the voices around me that compete for my ear.

Now, where was I?...oh yeah, anyway about this buzzing. I was at the 29th birthday party of a relative this Sunday past and this buzzing was driving me crazy! Let me describe it for you. I was in the middle of Bill Jr.'s(my brother-in-law) living room, seated on the couch next to Bill Sr.(my father-in-law) attempting to carry on a conversation. All around me were people talking and laughing and whatnot. The crazy thing was the voices and the laughter were being AMPLIFIED to the degree that I could not hear what Bill Sr. was saying.

I could hear Kathy Roper(my sister-in-law) talking and laughing with Lauren Lawson(my...?? what are you to me Lauren?) about all sorts of stuff. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE'S conversation was magnified in my ears. I would look at Bill Sr., sitting not 12 inches from me and quizzically answer "What? Huh? Did you say something?" And he was sitting right next to me!! I finally apologized and told Bill that there was something going on in my ears and I could not hear him. It was weird.

Well, not at that precise point, but, a couple days later, the Lord reminded me of that little episode and quietly spoke to my heart. He pointed me to all the voices that were trying to burglarize my time with Him. That's the way it goes isn't it? Circumstances, demands of this life etc., are many times amplified to a fever pitch in our heads. Voices, some out of sincere concern, others, nothing more than catcalls from the cheap seats, conspire to grab your attention away from what God would say to you.

It was the same way for the Son of God wasn't it? I grabbed a couple of verses from memory to illustrate my point.

 Mark 1:35 (NASB) 35  In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.
Luke 5:16 (NASB) 16  But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.


He would "often slip away" and get alone with God. Although, the Bible seems to be silent, I would bet my last dollar that Jesus faced circumstances, demands and voices that endeavored to tear Him away from His alone time with His Father. If Jesus, the Son of God, needed to "often slip away"... then should we not do the same? 

Brothers and sisters, I have said this before and I will say it again. There are dark, very dark storm clouds on the spiritual horizon. Not for this country alone, but, for the entire world. The 'voices', both good and bad are amplified in our world of today. We need to find God for OURSELVES. The buzz, if we entertain it, can be deafening. 

Psalm 91:9-10 (NASB) 9  For you have made the LORD, my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place.
10  No evil will befall you, Nor will any plague come near your tent.



God Bless

       

No comments:

Post a Comment