Friday, March 13, 2015

In One Ear.....                                                                          03-13-15

Proverbs 13:1 (NASB) 1  A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.

I like the KJV a little better on this one.

Proverbs 13:1 (KJV) 1  A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.

When I read this verse today, the Holy Spirit quickened me to use it as a text for my message. When I went to the Strong's however, to look up the meanings of some words, I was surprised at what I found.That word 'discipline' is used in a negative context in this verse. It means to chastise or correct. But, I felt the Spirit gave me a different perspective today. One of guidance or instruction. At any rate, being the stickler for context that I am, I felt it necessary to mention the negative connotation of the verse. Maybe that doesn't amount to much, but these days to me, it is everything when reading or writing about the Word of God. Whew!! Now that has been taken care of, I will endeavor to relate what the Spirit of the Lord spoke to my heart.

Do you sometimes feel that there is something more out there for you? Something that God has planned for you? An unfulfilled destiny? Or perhaps a new assignment or direction? You can't put your finger on it, but you sense it is out there. There is a restlessness in your spirit. Not really a feeling of frustration, just a residing restlessness. You feelin' me here?

For me lately it has been a sense that time is slipping away. Now to be sure, I realize that my age with it's changing perspective plays into that. But, quite frankly, time IS slipping away and I don't want to miss something. The flip side of that coin, as I am now reminded is the fact that Abraham was 75(that's SEVENTY FIVE years old before God started really dealing with him) So, it ain't over til' it's over...right ?? PTL.

Well, I have felt just that way recently, and when I read that verse in Proverbs today, the Lord mildly jolted me on the inside. Look at a different way of saying this.

Proverbs 13:1 (GW) 1  A wise son listens to his father's discipline, but a mocker does not listen to reprimands.


It was the "listen" that hit me. My Bible says "hears."  "A wise son hears....." You see many times these feelings of restlessness of being "antsy" are nothing more than our flesh. Maybe we are bored. Maybe it is a desire of our flesh that is a passing fancy. Look back one chapter and you will see that the Bible speaks of worthless pursuits or fantasies.

Proverbs 12:11 (NASB) 11  He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, But he who pursues worthless things lacks sense.


But, there is the distinct possibility that these gut feelings are God wanting to move us in a new area or dimension in our lives. He wants to do a "new thing" with or in us. In order to discern, to "figure out" whether or not it is God trying to guide us, we have to train our ears and hearts to listen and hear Him.

In the service back in the day, my brother-in-law, as far as I know, had one job and one job only. He listened. He spent a year learning a new language and was shipped off to a distant land to LISTEN. That was ALL he did. He was a listening post. That's what the Lord spoke to my heart today.

Many times we are restless, anxious, antsy(fill in the blank) or maybe even fearful about what's next. Maybe, just maybe, it is because we have not become a listening post. No, no I didn't say we were being disobedient, nope. Just due to all the distractions, gotta do this, gotta go there, we haven't taken the time to still ourselves and listen to what God has in mind for us. If we do, there may be an answer behind one of those doors.

Or maybe we have heard God speaking and we are hesitant to act upon His Word. (Yes, sadly I am a charter member of that club) I read this a few days ago. "You will always be one step of obedience away from the next truth God wants you to learn about Him." Look again, "A WISE(caps mine) son hears..."

Not only sons,but daughters too.

Brothers and sisters, unless we become listening posts to hear God, we may miss out on some thrilling, amazing blessings that He wants to drop on our heads. Amen??  AMEN!!

 Psalm 73:24 (NASB) 24  With Your counsel You will guide me, And afterward receive me to glory.


God Bless

   

No comments:

Post a Comment