Friday, August 29, 2014

            !                                                                               08-29-14

2 Corinthians 13:5 (NASB) 5  Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?

While scrolling Facebook the other day in my usual manner I caught myself doing something. Well, I didn't catch it, the Holy Spirit did; and, He brought my attention to it. What it was isn't important, a matter for Him and me. It was, however, put front and center before my eyes and warranted my attention. I was reading a couple of days ago and this verse stood out at me. It wasn't actually the verse, but the punctuation mark. The exclamation point! Now,just what is an exclamation? Well, here is Merriam-Webster's take. "the act of exclaiming; an outcry, loud complaint, roar,holler(for all us southerners) yawp??? yell, vociferation. Are you gettin' it here? It is someone trying to get someone else's attention through writing, yelling or whatever. Now, in the original languages there was no punctuation or at least no exclamation points  They had their ways of expressing strong sentiments, but, you will have to consult the scholars for an explanation. That is beyond my paygrade!On the other hand, in English that is how we holler and yawp at someone. At any rate, the exclamation point is rare in the New Testament. Don't have an exact number, but less than 5 times maybe. The Apostle Paul was and is trying to get their(the Corinthians) and our attention.

You see, sometimes we need to take a step back and look at ourselves.  Unfortunately, most of us,this writer included, are hesitant to do that unless and until God uses an exclamation point to grab our attention. (smile) But, it's odd isn't it. What's that Ronnie? Well, Paul doesn't seem to be concerned with the same type of stuff that we usually think is important. First(and this usually gives us pause) this examination is a SELF examination. It's not a don't do this, don't do that,quit doing this,quit doing that is it? No, it seems Paul is more intent on the condition of the heart. Look again. "test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves!" To see if you are in the faith. How is your heart towards Jesus? Does He live inside of you?  You see, we tend to look at the outside of the cup but not so here. Here's an aside to look at when you get the time. The Corinthian church was a mess. A church of outlaws if you will. They were steeped in sin and division. But, the overriding problem was a problem of partyism and self promotion. One group followed one man and another group followed another man and each group thought the other was wrong. "My group has all the truth and my guy is God's man and no other."  This led to all sorts of problems inside the church and resulted in a spiritual arrogance that was killing it. Check it out.

1 Corinthians 1:11-12 (NASB) 11  For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you.
12  Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."

And again.

1 Corinthians 3:3-4 (NASB) 3  for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?
4  For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not mere men?

You should read some of the history and circumstances surrounding this particular church. It is really eye opening. As you read the Scripture, it goes on and on, getting worse and worse. Yet, and this is what I wanted to say, Paul makes a very bold statement about these Corinthians. In the midst of all their shortcomings he calls them saints. That is some food for thought.

 1 Corinthians 1:2 (NASB) 2  To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

At any rate I am rambling and off point. Many times we get caught up in just surviving in these perilous times. We must run faster and faster just to stay on the merry-go-round and it is easy to lose contact with God in the process. Sometimes we just fall prey to the enemy's snares. There are a zillion reasons that we get lost and off track. It happens to all of us at one time or another. That's when He puts an exclamation point in our lives. He, in HIS way begins to holler and yawp.  All we need do is SLOW DOWN, STOP and take some time to examine ourselves and just where God is in our lives. Don't try to change. Just yield yourself to Him and let Him point out those areas of your life that He wants to work on. All we need do is YIELD and let Him do the work. Remember this. If you are lending yourself to self examination, that means you have rested from examining others. Amen?

   2 Corinthians ?13:11 (NASB) 11  Finally, brethren, rejoice, be made complete, be comforted, be like-minded, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.

Put yourselves in order and allow God to search the condition of your heart.

Psalm 139:23-24 (NASB) 23  Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
24  And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.





God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment