Friday, November 15, 2013

On Feeling Human                                                                                 11-15-13

I am often reminded of the old Temptations song,"Ball of Confusion."
"Round and around and around we go, where the world's headed, nobody knows. It's a Ball of Confusion."

From the "What else is new department." It seems that North Korea executed 80 people this week past for owning a Bible and for watching television that was being broadcast from South Korea. Not to be outdone, a CHRISTIAN pastor who is an AMERICAN CITIZEN no less is being imprisoned and tortured in Iran while his own country isn't lifting a finger in his defense as far as I can tell. Makes me wanna holler.

Acts 20:35 (NASB) 35  "In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"
.


This world is a hard place. If you don't believe me just take a trip down to the local Walmart. Cars at breakneck speeds through parking lots to get to the closest space. People shoving other people out of the way, rushing to the checkout lane. It's a jungle out there!lol But, seriously, take a look at what's happening. We are constantly bombarded by bad news. From every imaginable venue, it's ALL BAD!
I don't have to tell you, you know what I am talking about. Add to this the pressures of daily life and it is a challenge to remain positive about ANYTHING. The burden can be difficult at best. It's very easy to become hardened and cynical.Who can blame you?  The enemy's arrows are constant and when they find their target, they hurt. Yeah, I hear you. But, sometimes when our shield of faith is full of arrows and we lay it down to pick up another one we get hit. You feelin' me? At any rate we begin to build walls around our hearts because of the pain. We can become indifferent and impassive towards other people and their struggles. Not because we are mean or have "backslidden" but because our battle is fierce and OUR plate is full with very REAL problems. But, let me share a little testimony here and maybe it will help you this week.

The above paragraph described how I felt early in the week. I can't really say that I had any crushing problems raising their head; but, I felt cold and indifferent in my spirit. I felt hard and aloof. I didn't want anyone bothering me, I was self absorbed. So, off I go to the aforementioned Wally World to bump and shove with everybody else. As I walked in from the parking lot, there was a man who had a table set up for donations to a local drug rehab. While I was approaching I felt a nudge in my spirit to make a donation. But, I didn't respond and walked right by and on into the "jungle." But, the Holy Spirit wasn't going to let me off the hook this time. The man at that table was in the back of my mind the whole time. So, round and round I went and as I left the Walmart, I nonchalantly remarked in my spirit,O.K. Lord I'll give a donation. What happened then.. changed my day. The man with the most warm and sincere smile gave me a heartwarming "Thank You, We really appreciate it." The appreciation and sincerity was so real and it touched my heart. I remember thinking while walking away, that he had made me feel human on the inside again. My cold heart was melted and I felt good on the inside. It was then that the Lord spoke that verse to my heart.

You see the blessing that Jesus talked about in that verse took a different form for me that day. It wasn't about the hundred fold blessing. Neither was it about planting a seed for a harvest. Those are both valid reasons when kept in perspective and Holy Ghost motivated for sure; but, for me, on that day, that wasn't it. My blessing wasn't material. But by the help of the Holy Spirit, when I walked over to that table my heart was touched. My insides were healed. You hearing me? The Holy Spirit then reminded me of an old truth.

Philippians 2:3-4 (NASB) 3  Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;
4  do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

Listen, there's nothing super spiritual about what I am saying here. To be honest, I'm over with super spiritual. But, if you are feeling cold and isolated this week,try helping someone else. Take some time for someone else and it might turn out to be a mighty blessing in your life as well.

Psalm 138:3 (NASB) 3  On the day I called, You answered me; You made me bold with strength in my soul.



God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment