Friday, November 1, 2013

Ascents                                                                                                        11-1-13

"Because there is a war on for your mind."

 That is the catchphrase that a popular internet and radio talk show host uses on his web page. I noticed it recently on the website. I read this fellow from time to time, not daily or even weekly but occasionally. My reason for dialing him in today? I wanted his take on the food stamp reduction and it's effect. Unfortunately I didn't find anything as he had already archived his thoughts on the issue and I didn't want to take the time to look those articles up. No, this isn't a political lecture, I have a point to make, just bear with me. I had been mulling this food stamp thing in my mind this week. I wondered how it made a struggling single mother or father feel, knowing that they now have less money to feed their kids. Or an elderly couple? Or a working poor family. It goes on and on. As I listened to the drivel coming out of Washington, I considered the helplessness that people must feel in those types of situations.

Have you ever had a heavy heart? Yes, I know, we all have at some time or another. I had a heavy heart last night for some unknown reason. Even though my mother has had a rough couple of days, there is food in the fridge, a car to drive, a job to go to and a roof over my head. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things right? But, just the same, my heart was heavy and I felt pressured. When I finally got to work last night I didn't want to talk to anyone. You know. Didn't feel like analyzing the Red Sox win in the Series. Didn't feel like coming up with the solutions for the world. I didn't even feel like figuring out how the Vols would beat Missouri this weekend. (smile) I just wanted to be left alone...by myself. You feelin'me? I got my paperwork done and told my boss that I was going out to my truck and for him to call me when he was ready for me to back up to the dock. I usually have some time before I get the call. When I got out to the truck, I just needed to talk to the Lord. So, I spent some time out there with Him and this message was formed.


Psalm 131:1-3 (NASB)

 O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; Nor do I involve myself in great matters, Or in things too difficult for me.
2  Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me.
3  O Israel, hope in the LORD From this time forth and forever.


My message is not so much grounded in a scripture but in what this Psalm is. This Psalm is called a Psalm or Song of Ascents.There are fifteen of these I believe, Psalms 120-134. These Psalms were sung by the children of Israel as they made their yearly pilgrimages to Jerusalem for the three feasts that all Israel was to attend. They were feasts and gatherings to come before the Lord to worship Him and thank Him for His blessings and care. They were to be joyous occasions for the most part and all Israel participated  in them. The priests would also sing them as they stood on the steps of the temple in Jerusalem. They would step up the steps as they sang these Psalms hence the word ascents.
The word ascents literally means an upward climb. You see it was like a preparation for the heart before they entered the presence of the Lord.

There is a war raging for control of your mind. It for sure is in the media we see and hear every day. But, it doesn't stop there. You don't have to experience a food stamp reduction to be sucked into feelings of despair. No,no. If the enemy can't attack your checkbook, he can sneak up on you in other ways. I don't have to go down the list you probably know it by heart. But, in the MIDST of the battle we can find peace and rest and confidence for our very souls. We can ASCEND above it all. Look at what the Psalmist said.

Psalm 131:1 (NASB) 1
 O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; Nor do I involve myself in great matters, Or in things too difficult for me.


In today's vernacular David 'checked out.' He quit trying to figure it out. Let me put two cents worth in here. Do you honestly believe that if there is a power or a conspiracy or whatever we want to call it at work in our world today that your bellyaching and griping can do one thing to stop it? All it will do is give YOU an ulcer and make you depressed. Amen? or Oh me! In my best southern slang, "It ain't gonna happen Bubba!" Face up to it. There are things in this life that are too difficult for us. It's not just POLITICS! It can be a hopeless situation at home. A wayward child, a sickness, growing old. Any number of issues that are JUST TOO DIFFICULT FOR US!! Aahh... But not for God. You hearin' me?

Psalm 131:2 (NASB) 2  Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me.

Here's God's solution for the madness. "... I have composed.." that means to agree with. "...and quieted.." to be dumb, silent ,or still. You see brothers and sisters if we can find a place' far beyond the madding crowd'. If in the midst of the war we can quieten ourselves and stay our minds on Him.
JUST FOR A LITTLE WHILE. If we can AGREE with Him that He is the Sovereign Lord and He has it under control. If we can believe that HE HAS OUR BACK.


Psalm 91:11-12 (NASB) 11  For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.
12  They will bear you up in their hands, That you do not strike your foot against a stone.


If we can do that, we can ascend above it all for a while. We can take a step up above all the destruction and misery and find rest for our souls. Listen brothers and sisters if this message is for no one else it is for me. There are things I can't fix. They are too difficult for me. If I fight it in my own strength it will frustrate and depress me. Only God has a relief valve. Only He can take away the pressure.

Psalm 131:3 (NASB)
 O Israel, hope in the LORD From this time forth and forever.

God Bless



 

No comments:

Post a Comment