Friday, May 17, 2013


I Once Could See But Now I'm Blind


3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
2 Cor 4:2-4 (NASB)


Wait a minute Ronnie! That's not how the song goes! Yeah I know. You read it right, it's not a typo or a misprint. That was on purpose!(smile) Ever felt like that? Well, maybe not, but I certainly have! I can remember times in my life when all was seemingly well on the outside. I was at church every time the doors opened. Teaching a class, working the nursery, paying my tithes, you know, doing my part. Looked good on the outside but MESSED UP AND FILTHY on the inside.You ever been through that? Well, if you haven't you need to shout a big PTL right now! Amen! At any rate that verse laid on my heart this week as I talked to some folk that were in difficult times.


That verse(2 Cor.4:4) is talking about salvation. The context is speaking about unbelievers. People who don't know Jesus as Savior. That's not my thrust here. I believe this verse has an application from a different perspective. I was talking to some folk this week that have lost sight of God in their lives.Due to differing circumstances they have been "blinded" to the hope of the Gospel. I believe they are saved they just aren't SAVED. Does that make sense? They know Jesus as Savior but He isn't operating in their lives. More accurately, He isn't being ALLOWED to operate in their lives. They have been blinded. You see that word"blinded" means "to burn, smoke". A similar use is "to harden" It is used of one being blinded or hardened by a smoke screen to the point of intellectual or spiritual dullness. Ever been there? Well, if not I have spent enough time there for the both of us.(smiling) You see the ol' devil has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. He's been attacking God's Children for a long time and is good at what he does. If we aren't careful, it is easy to fall into one of his snares.


The arrows of the enemy come from many directions and over time don't they? An "event" will happen in your life. Loss of a loved one, divorce etc., etc., A Blindside and all of a sudden you are bitter and walking a spiritual tightrope. Possibly life has been hard and unfair and you have lost hope that God can help you. Know what I mean?BUT, more often than not, we are GRADUALLY blinded or dulled. Get up, go to work, eat, go to bed. Repeat tomorrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow...... The ordinariness(is that a word?) of life wears on you. In this day just surviving can sap all your physical AND spiritual strength. You exert every ounce of energy just to make it and have no time for God. The smokescreen becomes thicker and thicker. You don't or can't see anyway out. Oh, you maintain appearances on the outside but inside you are becoming duller and duller. After a while God is nowhere in the picture and before long what's on the inside starts showing on the outside. I know,..I've been there. All of a sudden you look around and you have become dull, insensitive,dreary, WOUNDED. Thanks for all the encouragement today Ronnie. Well, it isn't pretty but it's the truth. I remember what a great man of God used to say. Brother Harry Mushegan used to say " sometimes you have to grab yourself by the SCRUFF (I like that word) of the neck and DRAG YOURSELF down to the altar." AMEN? It isn't pretty but it's the truth.


Brothers and sisters sometimes we have to take a deep breath, get away from it all and get ALONE with God Almighty. We have to spend time in His Word. We have to spend time talking, praying to Him. We have to spend time listening to Him. We have to spend time letting Him heal and refresh us. It's the ONLY way. If you and I can somehow, someway drag ourselves into His presence. Have you ever had to pray this prayer? "God, help me want to want....." Maybe you are in that place today. You are not alone. I have been there many,many times. As I said last week. He is there. He has never left. Just crawl into the nearest cubby hole and start talking to Him. Let Him show you what He has in mind for your life. You(or for that matter me!) won't be disappointed! Amen?!! He's there.


18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might
Eph 1:17-19 (NASB)


This world with all the deceit,all the pain, the burden just to survive can dull even the sharpest spiritual sword. Look at the first two words of the above verse. I PRAY. Now look at the rest.



2 It is useless to work hard for the food you eat by getting up early and going to bed late. The Lord gives {food} to those he loves
Psalms 127:1-2 (GW)




God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment