Friday, November 10, 2017

Spiritual Correctness                                                        11-10-17

2 Timothy 3:14-15 (ESV) 14  But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
15  and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.


More computer problems today. Seems my version of this software(wordsearch 10) is not compatible with the new upgrade from Apple on the computer. So,$35.00 later for new upgrade and voila! here I am.

Let me tell you something. There is no more ardent a supporter of study as it concerns the Scripture than me. I am on a mission to understand why I believe what I believe,for reasons that are personal to me. I just recently started a study of the Book Of Job. A serious study that will, I believe, take considerable time. I have,if memory serves, read the  book through only once in my entire life. It is a deep and profound book and I am only through the introduction. I am relying on a"teaching" commentary simply because Job is a difficult book  for me to understand.All the poetry and word structure are  hard for me.Also, I have a hard time "connecting" with Job. The plain reason being I have not approached in my life the depth or magnitude of suffering that Job experienced. And I have NO DESIRE to experience Job's reality. That being said,the commentator,in his commentary made this statement about Job.Speaking of Job,he said,"His friends talk ABOUT God.Job talks TO(caps mine)God. And this makes him the only authentic theologian in the book."

When I got saved on October 8th 1975,the first thing I did was go out that very evening and buy a Christian book. I will never forget it. The Late Great Planet Earth by Hal Lindsay. Great book.........but not the place for a new babe in Christ to begin his journey. It blew my mind as I read the whole book in one setting. When I arrived at work that night I found my Christian friends, Pastor Doug,who had led me to the Lord that morning, and Bill Fallon.Pastor Doug do you remember Bill?  Excited and scared,I told them about the book I had read.Well....I got a look. Not disapproving or stern. A look of maybe I needed something a little different to begin with. It was then that I received my first Christian"teaching." I was told that to begin with I needed to do two things.I needed to learn how to do two things. I remember it like it was yesterday. What were they Ronnie? What deep wisdom was imparted to you?

1) Read the Bible.

2)Pray

That was the extent of my teaching.Oh yeah, start in the Gospel of John. That was it.

Some forty odd years,unknown hours spent reading the Bible,countless seasons of prayer,hundreds of Christian books,thousands of preached sermons,hard times,good times,ups and downs those two truths still remain firm and steadfast.And herein lieth the lesson.

If you have read the the books of First and Second Timothy,you understand this is a "teaching"letter from a wise,seasoned Man of God to a younger,up and coming Pastor. I believe,and this is my opinion only,I believe it was Paul passing the baton to his child in the faith. In the midst of all his advice and instruction about the storms and all the other of life,Paul writes those words to Timothy. Look again.

2 Timothy 3:14-15 (ESV) 14  But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
15  and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.


"........continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed.....

I remember a few years back during a desperate and I mean desperate period in my life. I was driving a truck over the road and was literally on I40 at Cedar Bluff road. I was passing through Knoxville on my way to Chicago with tears rolling down my face. Something had happened and I was desperate to hear from God. As I rolled past the Lovell Rd.exit,theSpirit of the Lord spoke these words to my heart. "Go back to the place you left off,and do what you know to do." The Lord was speaking to me in areas of my life that I had become negligent.Truths that I had been taught in the past. Nothing new. No great revelation or teaching. The sun didn't start shining any brighter....no no.It was a simple restating of some truths that I had learned eons ago and had allowed to become stagnant. A buddy of mine stated it precisely the other day when he said these words to the author, "I am not interested in any new teaching, I can't live what I know!"

Amen and Amen. 

Brothers and sisters,I suppose that this is my point today. If it was truth yesterday. If it was truth last week. If it was truth 50 years ago....it is truth today.Oh yes there are different doctrines. There are different theologies. There are different viewpoints and applications.I understand all of that and heartily agree. But,there isn't a different truth. And that is what set Job apart from his friends as far as I can tell so far. In Job's search for the truth about his suffering he didn't put forth any new theologies or new teachings. no no. He couldn't understand what he already knew to be true about God. However,what set him apart. What,in the end, curried God's favor toward him and by the same token God's anger toward Job's friends was one truth. Job didn't talk ABOUT God,he talked TO God.

1)Read the Bible

2)Pray

 Psalm 57:1 (ESV) 1
 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.



God Bless
  

No comments:

Post a Comment