Friday, August 18, 2017

Skin In The Game

Skin In The Game                                               08-18-17

2 Samuel 24:24 (ESV) 24  But the king said to Araunah, “No, but I will buy it from you for a price. I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God that cost me nothing.” So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.

1 Chronicles 21:24 (ESV) 
24  But King David said to Ornan, “No, but I will buy them for the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, nor offer burnt offerings that cost me nothing.”
Got any skin in the game? We'll touch on that in a moment.

I read a news account this week past about a young man that had decided to take on the system. He was in some foreign land and appalled at the conditions of the people, he decided to fight. He is still fighting to this day and is an all out war with the powers that be. The outcome is uncertain. One thing is for sure,it has cost this man dearly. He has skin in this game.

Skin in the game. A term used frequently in the investment and business world. It denotes someone who has put his or her money where there mouth is. They BELIEVE in a certain investment or business and they are willing to put some of THEIR money and substance into the venture. They are willing to SACRIFICE some of their possessions for the possibility of a profit.

That is basically what David was doing in this passage. Read the story. David screwed up and an it cost a lot of people dearly. Seventy thousand paid with their lives. David went to offer a sacrifice before the Lord,and the owner,Arunah offered his threshing floor for free. David refused the offer and told Arunah that he would pay FULL price. Not only did he refuse the free offer,but he would not even ask for a discount! Pity poor David if he ever walked onto the new car showroom of most any car dealer in town.(smile) David had skin in the game.

I remember many,many years ago a friend of mine(actually he was my boss at work) went to his pastor and asked him if there was anything he could do at the church; thinking that he could do some work or ministry there. The pastor's reply was to tell him that to really bless the church,my friend could work some overtime,and give that overtime money to the church. Which he did without complaint. He had skin in the game. He was serious about his walk with the Lord.

You see brothers and sisters,there seems to be something spiritual about that mindset doesn't there? It doesn't have to center around money,although it often does. But,it's not about the money,it's about the sacrifice isn't it? It's about giving something precious of yours to someone else. Something that took time,effort and hard work on your part to acquire.Precious being the key word. Whether it be man,woman,or God, it causes the recipient to take notice doesn't it? If you want an audience with someone;or if you want to express your sentiments and passion towards someone then you offer them something of yourself don't you? It must be something more than lip service mustn't it. Lip service doesn't cost anything does it?

Everyday I see this lip service in our political maneuvering's.This is what YOU should do.This is what YOU should sacrifice.As the Temptations used to say,"Vote for me and I'll set you free!Rap on brother,rap on!" Daily, on social media, I read of people asking for sacrifice,usually in the form of cold,hard cash.They ask you to send to a go fund me account to pay for this or that.And for sure there are some worthy causes.But,the first thing that comes to mind when I read these pleas is this,"O.K. I have a listening ear,but where is your commitment? What and how much have you sacrificed for this cause." How much skin do YOU have in this game? Ya feelin' me here?

You see if we are not willing to sacrifice,to give something of value, PRECIOUS.... if you are hearing me;how should we then expect someone else to give serious thought to our opinion and input? Why should we expect someone to give of themselves unfeigned if we are unwilling to reciprocate? David knew this didn't he. He wanted to grab God's ear. Seventy thousand were dead because of him,he was DESPERATE for an audience with the Lord.

Read the story.Pay careful attention to the last part of that Scripture.

".............I will not offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God that COST ME NOTHING."

(CAPS Mine)

God hasn't changed much these days has He? The content of the sacrifices have changed because of THE SACRIFICE, the Lord Jesus. But,the Father's nature and character,I believe have not. He still honors a sacrifice doesn't He? A sacrifice of praise. A sacrifice of thanksgiving.A sacrifice of obedience. A material sacrifice. I still believe that causes the Lord God to take notice. 

Do we want God to listen to our prayers and thoughts and opinions? Do we covet God's direction and wisdom for our lives? Well,let's take a lesson from King David.Let's offer Him something precious.Let's get alone with Him and offer Him our heart and mind. Let's give Him our undivided attention.Let's SPEND some time with Him.

Psalm 50:5 (ESV) 5  “Gather to me my faithful ones, who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!”




God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment