Friday, June 9, 2017

Have You Asked God

Have You Asked?                                         06-09-17

James 4:2 (ESV) 2  You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.

This verse came across my mind this week as I thought about a situation in my life that is an absolute impossibility. When I say an impossibility, I am in no way,shape or form exaggerating. If God doesn't move in this area of my life,it is not going to happen.As I was going over this situation in my mind this week,I heard that small voice in my heart say something to me. The question posed to me was simply this,"Have you asked God?"To which I responded positively."Yes I have." And that was the truth. In my New Year's prayer that I write out every year,I had indeed included that very request. However,as I went about this past week ,the above verse kept rolling across my mind.It wouldn't go away. "Have you asked God?" You do not have because you do not ask. And herein lieth the lesson.

A few years ago I spent a summer walking to work. It was a good workout,about five miles each way.I had a car,but I needed another one,Mine being on it's last legs.So,I decided that I would take the matter before God. I began to ask Him
every day.I would walk and pray about stuff,especially that car.Didn't have to be new,but I prayed for something nice. Mechanically sound,but most of all I wanted it to be GIVEN to me. What I mean by that is I did not want a payment.I remembered long ago how we folks in the church(me included) would give a testimony about how God had given us a car or a home or whatever.But,in reality that "gift" came with a hefty monthly payment. Ya feelin'me here? However, this time I wanted this car to truly be given to me. No strings or payments attached. Well,I had no idea where it was coming from,BUT it came. I was given a car from an unexpected source,the same car I am driving today.My point in telling you this is that I ASKED God for that car. I did not just casually toss my request out there.I was FERVENT in my prayer.

James 5:16 (KJV) 16  Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

I like the wording of the KJV here. If I have a need in my life. If I have an impossibility in my life,the Bible tells me that FIRST I need to ask GOD.Not my family,not the doctor,and in the above example not the loan officer. I may end up going to those folks,but only AFTER I get God's direction on it. One of the most common(at least for  me) failings in my prayer life is the fact that I get impatient and decide to answer my own prayer. I pray for God to give me a car or whatever, but then I go out and buy it myself! We do it all the time. But then it goes on to say that I need to be FERVENT in my asking. I need to KEEP on asking,KEEP on seeking,KEEP on knocking.

Now sometimes God answers and that answer is no. He has said no to me before. But,I am going to tell you something here,that is the RARE exception,at least in my experience. The problem has rarely been with God rejecting my request. God wants to give His children their needs AND wants Rather,it has been on my side of the equation. Impatience, JUMPING THE GUN and wanting to do it myself being the usual suspect to any unanswered prayer.

Maybe we should take a cue from our children. When kids ask their parents for something they don't say "Daddy or Mommy please bless me." No,NO. They let you know EXACTLY what kind of bicycle,or glove or dress they want. It comes with the color, brand and any other pertinent details.And they don't stop asking until you threaten to beat them OR you go buy what it is they want.And you get a big kick out of seeing their faces light up when they open that package. God isn't any different is He? Well, except for the part about beating us.(smile)

You(we) have not because you(we)ask not. Amen?

Psalm 37:4 (ESV) 4  Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.



God Bless


  







1 comment: