Friday, June 10, 2016

Urgent Need

Urgent Need                                                    06-10-16

Titus 3:14 (ESV) 14  And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.

A thought.

Oftentimes these days I wander off in my mind (getting older smile). Let's see, where was I? Oh yes, I remember now. I wander off in my mind and wonder about the plight of those Christians suffering such persecution in the Middle East and many other parts of the world. I remember seeing a picture a couple of years ago of a small girl laying dead on a floor in Iraq. I remember the anger and frustration I felt which litreally brought me to tears while gazing on that child. I remember wishing that I could somehow and in someway avenge that child of the horror and abuse she suffered. I also remember the Lord putting that verse in my heart that vengeance was His and He would indeed make things right in His time and in His way. I had such compassion for that child.

That being said, I read a book many, many years ago, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. Some folks like him, some don't. I fall into the like category. At any rate, one of the points in the book concerned a "strategy" of the devil in dealing with God's elect. You and me. It went like this. The enemy doesn't care about our compassion and desire to help those in the world. Nope. He will gladly encourage us to feel all the compassion and love for those in THE world. What he doesn't want is for us to be compassionate and kind to those whom reside in OUR world. It's O.K. to love someone in Iraq just don't love that person sitting on your living room couch. 

Understand that the most "urgent needs" are living in your home. They are sharing your bed. They live next door or down the street. They are the folk you and I see everyday.I remember while my mother was still living, the Lord spoke to my heart one day. I was thinking about "doing" something for the Lord. You know how that goes. I can't even remember what it was. Anyway, He spoke gently to my heart and said I need look no further than the next bedroom to "see clearly" my vision and ministry for the Lord. 

God's work many times is staring us dead in the face. We just miss it because we aren't looking in the right places. 

Psalm 89:11 (ESV) 11  The heavens are yours; the earth also is yours; the world and all that is in it, you have founded them.



God Bless


     







No comments:

Post a Comment