Friday, April 1, 2016

A Backstage Pass                                     04-01-16

Isaiah 52:7 (ESV) 7  How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”


Ever been to a concert or event in the possession of a backstage pass? You've seen them haven't you? Folks walking around like the big dogs backstage with that credential hanging around their neck. It affords them close and sometimes intimate access to the performers or speakers. I've personally never had one,except for the one I was given the other day...??... More on that in a minute. I was personally touched by a message delivered this week by my mentor and friend, Pastor Doug. He had a great word this Wednesday past entitled "Swing That Bat." Check it out on the church website:

 WWW. GOSPELOUTREACHCHURCH.com

I spoke to Pastor Doug by phone last evening as he was heading down to Jackson Prison to support a man who was scheduled to and for a fact was executed last evening by the state of Georgia. As I spoke with my friend,I learned that he had been materially and spiritually ministering to this man for years. God had sent Pastor Doug into this man's life, and he(Pastor Doug) had led this man to salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ. Although it was a sobering and somber occasion, this man's soul was intact. He is in the corridors of glory as we speak right now.It made me think of the above verse. That verse is quoted by Paul in Romans.
  
 Romans 10:15 (ESV) 15  And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 

As I meditated on that message this week, and especially after talking with my friend last night as he headed down to that prison, I wished that I could have been a part of what happened last night. I would have liked to have been travelling down with Pastor Doug. I desired to be a part of what God had and was doing in the life of that man in that prison.

As I thought more about it today this came into my heart. "You were a part of it Ronnie." ...???? ... What?? "You were a part of it," I heard again. It was then that it dawned upon me that I had been given a "backstage pass" to what had occurred in that place. Give me a little space here and I will try and explain.

It has been preached to me many different times, that the real heroes of the Church and God's Kingdom are not always the ones in the limelight. The real heroes are the ones in the pews that no one ever hears from or knows about. It is the folk that go quietly about their business, never causing commotion, putting their check in the plate, praying for and encouraging one another, supporting those, both materially and spiritually that God has put on the front lines. Those that have been called to serve in the background of a Church or ministry. They have been given a "backstage pass," if you will.These are the REAL HEROES in the Kingdom. You see it's about quality isn't it? Whaddya mean Ronnie? Just this.

1 Corinthians 3:12-13 (ESV) 12  Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—
13  each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.


You see, for every Billy Graham, for every Jentzen Franklin, T.D.Jakes, John McCarthur,etc.,etc.,etc., there are untold hundreds, thousands, millions of folk in the background. They are the ones with the backstage passes who pray, give, encourage, support and make it possible for the "headliners" to do their thing. They are out of sight and out of mind in the world's view; BUT, BUT, they are forefront and 5th row center stage in God's drama. You see brothers and sisters, in God's eyes we are all on the same stage. Yes, some have been given the spotlight, while others cue the actors or operate the cameras. Ya feelin' me here? It's all about the quality and not the nature of our work. Have we built with gold,silver, and precious stones? Or wood and hay.

As I thought about my friend last night, riding down to comfort a man in his last minutes on earth, this came to mind. For all those years that he took those quarters down and gave them to those prisoners so they could enjoy a vending machine hamburger or soft drink. For all the times that prayer was offered up in that man's stead. For sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with him. Out of the sight of the cameras and the newspapers, just going quietly about the work that God has called him to do. It touched my heart and made me feel good. I was proud that by the grace of God I had been privileged to be a part of that ministry. I had access to a backstage pass. A work of gold.

In addition to that, a man at work told me this week that every time he thought about stepping down from ministering to some kids, said kids would do or say something that made him smile and encouraged him to keep on going. A reason to continue on.It's the folk like these that are the real heroes. A work of gold.

Proverbs 20:6 (ESV) 6  Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?



It's not about the splash that we make. It's the test of time and faithfulness that God considers. The great majority of God's children spend their time, indeed their lives out of the limelight. When the cameras start rolling, you won't see them strolling down the red carpet.  They are backstage, toiling in obscurity. Out of the spotlight, BUT, not out of the PICTURE! It's not about quantity, but quality.  

     
Psalm 84:10 (ESV) 10  For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.



God Bless
    

   

1 comment: