Friday, February 19, 2016

Better Left To The Experts                                 02-19-16

Romans 14:4 (ESV) 4  Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.


Ever began a project( I'm talking to all you handymen or women out there) and about halfway in, as you sit under the sink with a river leaking out on your floor, you sheepishly admit to yourself that maybe, just maybe, you should have called a plumber on this one. If you are shouting amen about now,then you understand the title to this message. 

Let's put that in a spiritual context here today. Let me ask you a question. I don't really have a solution,but I know the answer?? How do you or I know if someone is a Christian? Better yet, how exactly can you or I determine the condition of another's heart.What is it that allows us the insight into the quality of another's relationship or walk with God?  I don't have a solution to that question, but I do know the answer.Here it is. I DON'T KNOW AND I CAN'T DETERMINE. Let me be so bold as to assert that the only way I can know if YOU are a Christian.....the only way that you can know the condition of MY heart and relationship with God,is if I tell you. If you tell me that you are a Christian, I have no other option except to take you on face value. I must believe that you are indeed a Christian. Despite any misgivings that I might have. 

One of the first truths that I was taught as a new Christian was the truth that I was not a "fruit inspector." Huh Ronnie? Just this. It was not my place or even my option to inspect the lives of others.God was very plain to me in this.  The conduct,behavior,or talk of another was NONE OF MY BUSINESS!! 

Oh yes, I sometimes TRIED to make it my business. I have at times THOUGHT I knew what was in the heart of another. Oh yeah,..........

"But God look at what they...........SILENCE RONNIE! Their lives are MY BUSINESS,not yours. They name the name of my one and only Son, The Lord Jesus Christ, and that is ALL you need to know.Based on that one fact and that one fact alone, you are to treat them as a brother or sister in Christ."

What's that you say?

Wait a minute Ronnie. You just look at what Jesus said. It's right here in the Bible. Whaddya say about this?

Matthew 7:16 (ESV) 16  You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

I say just this. This is one of those misapplied and abused verses that we folk use in the gossip circles at church, or on the phone, or at lunch to attempt to prove something. Folks, not to get off point but think CONTEXT. That word has become so important to me over the years. Is Jesus talking about the sheep, your brothers and sisters here? Nope. Not at all. As a matter of fact this is a warning TO the sheep about leadership. It is a warning to be careful where and to whom we pledge our loyalty, our finances, and other contributions. It is a call to discern whom to follow. It is a warning about false leadership entering the local fellowship to fleece and devour the sheep. It is NOT a divinely appointed license to give approval or the lack thereof to a brother or sister's lifestyle or behavior.

So Ronnie, does that mean that we are to follow blindly anyone that calls themselves a Christian or a leader? NO! Not at all. As a matter of fact it is a warning to do exactly the opposite. We must ask God where He would have us go and who He would have us follow. He has given us His Word to help us discern and make those important decisions.  BUT, even if we don't agree with someone who is calling themselves a leader or what not, WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO MAKE A JUDGMENT CALL ON HE CONDITION OF ONE'S HEART BASED ON WHAT WE SEE OR WHAT WE HEAR!!That is God's business and God's business alone. And if we persist in judging another's fruit, we do so at our own peril.

 Romans 2:1 (ESV) 1  Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things.

Listen brothers and sisters, we are to judge nothing before it's time. Heck, the Apostle Paul said that he didn't even judge himself. Look at this. Read this carefully.

1 Corinthians 4:3-5 (ESV) 3  But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.
4  For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.
5  Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.


Paul doesn't even trust his appraisal or judgment of himself. He yields the passing of judgment to the only one qualified to do so. The Expert if you will.

".........It is the Lord who judges me......."

When we place ourselves in the bema, the Judgment Seat, we make ourselves like God.When we call others to account, whether pew sitter or world leader, based on our perception real or imagined; we invite others and more importantly, God Almighty Himself to take a look at us. We imagine ourselves to be qualified. We become the "experts." 

We will be far better served if we stick to the things we know don't you think? You know, loving one another, helping one another, praying for one another. Let's leave the hard stuff, you know, looking into another's soul with our unique,flawless insight and deciding their fate before God. You know, that kind of stuff. That's the stuff better left to The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, you know, the Experts,don't you think?



 Psalm 141:3 (ESV) 3  Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!



God Bless 

  

1 comment:

  1. Avery timely (*for me) sermon and for all of us--including the Pope.

    ReplyDelete